From: main@4SQRP.groups.io <main@4SQRP.groups.io> on behalf of Dave Benson <davek1swl@...>
Sent: Wednesday, March 9, 2022 7:17
To: main@4sqrp.groups.io <main@4sqrp.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] Power Output

Doug-

(This is general information, and not aimed at you)

The higher-than-expected inductance isn't just a 4SQRP thing. It's a common source of difficulty.  There's always stray capacitance between adjacent turns.  The calculations for inductance don't include that. They can't, since it's up to the care the builder takes when winding the toroids.  (Heavier-gauge wire also increases the effect due to its larger surface area. )

 It's important to make sure the turns are evenly spaced and spread out around the entire circumference of the toroid. This minimizes that unwanted effect.

73- Dave, K1SWL

On Tue, Mar 8, 2022 at 8:36 PM Douglas L via groups.io <sparks06524=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
About 2 turns need to be taken off several toroids in order to raise the frequency from around 3.6 MHz up to about 3.8 MHz where most AM activity is located.
I’ve posted a bit about this on the Nouveau 75 user group’s site.

I wonder if toroid values are a problem in the other 4SQRP kits?

Doug/WA1TUT

On Mar 8, 2022, at 5:32 PM, Curt via groups.io <wb8yyy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Did you try spreading or squeezing the windings on the toroids?

If you did adjust a toroid, you need to lift only one side. Kits should instruct up to tack solder one end down for these adjustments, as I confess in building several dozen rigs I still haven't learned that.

Curt

--
Charles Moizeau, W2SH