Re: Long wire

Karl Schwab

With an ICom IC-706MKIIG, I have a manual MFJ-tuner (a model that feeds a random length wire) coupled to the radio via a short length of coax, and sitting right behind it.  From the tuner, a 100' length of wire, out the window and up into the trees.  A ground wire from the radio and tuner also goes out the window, directly to 3 ground rods outside that are used for my electric utility service.  Works good for me on all HF bands running 100 watts.  Simple and inexpensive.  I probably would be more careful if I were to run 1kw.  Karl/KO8S

On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 3:30 PM Matthew Halsey via groups.io <rftb_cowboy=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Or use a 9:1 balun with coax to your rig.

Matt
KC3OIV

On Mar 11, 2022, at 7:37 PM, Mike D <vfd.ninja@...> wrote:

You'll want to connect it to your tuner.

Mike kd5rjz

On Fri, Mar 11, 2022, 1:19 PM Mlike McEwen <k5osamce@...> wrote:
I've done a good bit of WWW browsing, but no joy on this question...if I want to use a long wire antenna with my Yaesu 951, do I have to connect it directly to the radio or can I use a piece of coax between the radio and antenna which would let me get the antenna ouside my house?  I do have a good tuner.

72/73 Doc K5OSA