Re: ZERO-BEATING

Kent Trimble, K9ZTV

Three more-or-less related observations ...

1)  Lee's suggestion is fine provided it doesn't go much beyond 100-200 Hz.  Personally, I seldom operate CW at bandwidths wider than 250 Hz.  If a station calls outside my bandpass filter he won't be heard.

2)  However, in my opinion, once a POTA/SOTA station starts attracting a wolf pack he should immediately go SPLIT and the wolf pack stations should respect his UP/DWN preference.

3)  It goes without saying that accurate zero-beating is essential (mandatory, de rigueur) for net operations.  During poor conditions it is not uncommon for me to run the Missouri Section Net while filtered down to 50 Hz.  When combined with reduced RF gain, an appropriate level of attenuation, the rig's APF switched in, and judicious adjustment of a manual notch filter, signals are nearly always copiable because net members know how to zero-beat.  If they don't, they won't be heard and I won't care.  It is not the NCS's job to go tuning for stations.

73,

Kent  K9ZTV

On Apr 19, 2022, at 10:27 AM, Lee via groups.io <kx4tt@...> wrote:

Zero-beat?!? Never!! And no- this is not to be contrary. Dave's Explanation below is why. I will come back 100-200 hz away for this reason. Listen to the ops in any major CW contest and you will see this done.

Lee, KX4TT

On Tuesday, 19 April 2022, 11:16:39 am GMT-4, Dave Benson wrote:

gang-

I'll put in a contrary word or two here....

I do a lot of POTA activations, and I usually draw modest pileups.  When I'm spotted on POTA's website, nearly everyone tunes to *exactly* the dial frequency listed in the spot.  When I send 'QRZ?', it's a din- all on one frequency!  It's unintelligible.  The folks who get answered first are off-frequency-  perhaps using older rigs.  Failing that, the ones I pull out are the slowest stations, and I get just the tail end of their callsign. Requesting a 'fill' slows things down quite a bit.

73- Dave, K1SWL

On Tue, Apr 19, 2022 at 9:10 AM Dean LaClair wrote:
I am not sure why it would be hard to zero beat someone with an analog dial?

View/Reply Online (#26476) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Visit your group website: www.4SQRP.com