On shack maintenance

Wayne Dillon

Good morning all,
Well this weekend I got to do some long overdue maintenance in the shack. The ASTU was acting up, tuning was a little hesitant and the positions had changed from what they normally are so I figured I'd better knuckle down and have a look see.
First off I checked all the patch leads, almost always suspect when things are not what they are supposed to be . They checked out but when I checked the link on the back of the ASTU (it's an MFJ 949) the one that puts the BalUn in play for balanced wire feeders I discovered my "hesitant" connection. Origionally I had placed a "temporary" link there pending a "proper" one made from crimp terminals. Well the "temporary" one was intermittent. I made up a permanent link  and all is now fine, ASTU settings are where they should be and it tunes 160 again. Many of you know that I run a 176 ft doublet at around 40' fed with 300R ribbon. the way the link was performing i had effectively one side of the feeder and one half of the doublet acting as my antenna. Oh well, we live and learn. Secondly, I decided to check the output to make sure that I was in fact actually putting out 5 watts. I set up the power out using the meter in the ASTU (switched to Dummy Load) at 5 watts. Then, out with the QrpOmeter... hmmm. I was only putting a little less than a watt into the antenna! OK, set the output for 5 watts, just for grins I checked it against an OHR WM2 - same reading - and reconnected the MFJ. Boy oh boy was it off, I mean WAY OFF. So, this weeks net will be conducted with a "Full Gallon (QRP)", and an antenna properly connected. Just goes to show what shows up when you get complacent about stuff.
See y'all o Wednesday evening,
72/3 es God Bless de Wayne - KC0PMH

P.S. Anyone know how to do the meter alignment on the MFJ??

--
http://www.qsl.net/kc0pmh/   Under construction but please visit anyway.

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER. 

I'm British by birth but American by CHOICE!

Jesus came to pay a debt He didn't owe because we owe a debt we cannot pay...

The Lord bless you and keep you
The Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you
The Lord lift up his contenance upon you and give you peace.

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - KC0PMH

Joshua 24:14-15
2 Cor 5:17
1 Jn 2:17

4 State QRP Group NCS - 40m & 160m
4SQRP #95
FPQRP #342 (Flying Pigs QRP Club)
G-QRP-C #11504
NAQCC # 0759
QRP-ARCI #11505
SKCC #1155C
SOC #848
30MDG#1176
NEQRP #693
GORC #192

Join main@4SQRP.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.