Great day operating from my patio

Tom Sevart

I had a busy afternoon cleaning off our covered patio, since we have cooler weather it will be nice to sit out there in the evenings.

Once I got everything cleaned up I decided to set up my portable 20m station consisting of my Wilderness SS-20 and versatile 20m wire antenna. I decided to try the antenna set up in a vertical fashion, so I threw a line up over a tree branch and pulled one wire straight up, then set the other dipole wire out along the ground, then added two more wires for ground radials, which made a nice decent vertical antenna.

I didn't make a huge number of contacts but enjoyed making QSO's on or near 14.060 (the SST doesn't have a broad tuning range). The first QSO was with KA3MJG also operating QRP from PA. He gave me a 569 report. Not bad for a temporary antenna.

I also heard EL2BT working a few stations but he didn't hear me.

I couldn't have asked for better weather, nice and sunny with temps in the 70's.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS