Re: QRPometer mod

Johnny AC0BQ

Hello Tom
Good idea.
I was one of the prototype builders and I made a plate from some old plexiglass I had and used longer screws with spacers to keep mine from shorting out!
Worked well, sounds like your solution was easier!!

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 6, 2013, at 9:20 PM, Tom Sevart <tmsevart@...> wrote:

I just recently built my QRPometer bought at Ozarkcon (shows how slow I
am to get around to building things) and put it together in a couple of
nights. Nice little kit but the thing I didn't like was having the
solder contacts on the bottom board exposed. The connections across the
battery terminals are also exposed, so if you accidentally lay your
QRPometer across a screwdriver or some other metal tool, you run the
risk of shorting it out. Plus I don't like the idea of getting all that
lead solder on my hands while using or carrying the QRPometer.

So I bought a cheap, thin black plastic folder at Wally World to match
the black PC board, set the QRPometer on top of it, and then cut out a
piece with a box cutter to fit the back of the meter. I then cut four
tiny X's for the screws, then put the thin piece of plastic on the back
and secured it with the four nuts. I then attached the four rubber feet
that came with the kit to the plastic. Now I don't have to worry about
laying my QRPometer on something metal and shorting anything out or
having to wash the lead off my hands after using it.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS