Re: Boatanchor ID help

John Lonigro

Several years ago, a friend of mine who has lived in California for years came back to St. Louis for a few days. He called me and said the trip wasn't a pleasure trip. He had to help clean out his recently deceased uncle's basement. The day after it was all cleaned out, he told me his uncle used to be a TV repairman and had all kinds of radios in the basement, including some consoles, plus lots of spare parts, test equipment, etc. My friend had called some company that essentially charged him to take all that stuff away. In a way, I'm glad I didn't know about it until after the basement was cleaned out. The temptation would have been too great, especially after my friend said he was listening to one of the consoles while cleaning up.

John AA0VE

On 11/01/2013 06:55 AM, Bart Lawson wrote:

Tom et. al.,

The sad thing about these beautiful works of American labor was that back in the 80s and 90s a person could have filled their home with these radios. I spotted two sitting in a man's garage and found out I could have them for the price of loading them in my pickup. He didn't want to throw them in the dump. I hate to think of what happened to them but I knew what would happen if I showed up with them:-) We lived in a very small house and I had already turned one bedroom into a radio, computer, workbench play room. I was pretty sure that showing up with two console radios would be pushing my luck even with a very forgiving wife.

cu es 72, Bart W0IIT
Pittsburg, KS
4Sqrp = #72, FP= #11, ARS=#568, SKCC=1139, NAQCC=#588 FIST=#5819, Zombie=#500, Geratol=#1000