Re: Cryptic mailing to the list

John Lonigro

I really like the brand name of that power supply:  HQRP.  I also notice they include an "HQRP" coaster with the power supply.  I wonder how difficult it would be to remove the "H"?

John AA0VE

On 12/03/2013 09:07 AM, Jim Sheldon wrote:

Sorry about that - the email was originally intended for Terry WA0ITP,  regarding his article in the latest "Banner" on wall warts for "Motel" power supplies.  I forgot to include the URL when I told him about an inexpensive, RF quiet switcher that puts out 13.8-14 volts at 2.5 to 3 amps.  It's designed as a replacement supply for ACER and Samsung monitors and Amazon has them for $9.99 plus shipping.

I got one to with my KX3 when I'm close to AC power and it worked so well I picked up another one for a spare.  They are spec'd at 14 volts output but both the ones I got measure 13.8 volts which is pretty much the design voltage on just about every QRP rig that runs on a nominal 12 volts anyway.  They are over voltage, over current protected and cheap enough that buying one might even be cheaper than a wall wart plus the 7812 regulator if you don't already have such in your "junque box".

Jim - W0EB