Re: WC7S - 160 test

Jim Sheldon

Hey Dale,
Nope, it WAS a bit different.  We had a fairly major solar flare and are currently (last couple days as well) experiencing a geomagnetic storm.  That is most likely what caused the major QSB.  It was noted here as well.  I did manage some DX - C6, PJ2 KP2 and a couple of Mexican stations but they were really weak and if I hadn't had the help of the K3's really great RX, they would have been relegated to the "never heard 'em" file.

It looks like your new antenna was NOT the problem, just crappy conditions.  Try the Stew Perry later on this month with the same antenna.  That will give you at least two contests with which to compare results.  If and I do mean IF conditions happen to be a bit better for the Stew Perry, QRP ought to really work.

I did run QRO in this one (500 watts) because I used my very low strung inverted L as my Butternut HF2V vertical with a homebrew 160 meter loading coil doesn't have enough bandwidth for contesting on 160.  Even with my KAT500 tuner, I can only get about 35 KHz centered around the bottom end.   I can get the whole band using the KAT500 and the inverted L.  No radials under the L so it doesn't radiate well but it does exhibit fairly low noise on RX so I find that stations hear me with 500 watts & not with 100 or less under conditions like we had this weekend even though I can hear the QRP statioins quite well..

Jim - W0EB