Re: RTTY in days of old

Dale Putnam

Wow! That was a trip. 
In the dim past... well, maybe not so dim now, I used to run to the teletype machine, to grab the latest weather forecast,
to append to the end of the newscast, on the local radio station, before I laid another "golden oldie" on for the huge audience. (never knew for sure how many, but I didn't have any trouble at all giving away records or prizes.)
I'd scoot to the tty machine, grab the wx, run to the kitchen grab a cup of coffee, and slip back onto the standup stool, and that was all done in less than 60 sec. (one break).. Trips to the bathroom were reserved for songs. (they lasted about 3 minutes) 
  The sound of the tty machine was never to go over the air... (manager's decision).. if it did, that meant the door to the tty closet, (and it was just a closet), didn't get closed correctly.. You could NOT slam it in haste.. that would automatically cause the phone to ring, manager calling...   "Don't slam the tele door!"  

I also had a nice arrangement of TTy machines in my ham shack too... models 14, 15, 19, 28, 32, 33, and others... 
I finally had to let them all go... the cost of oil ... and all that. ;-)

Thanks Terry, there is no other sound like that.. many try... many fail. 

does anyone ever get all the oil out from under the fingernails?

Have a great day,

--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

To: 4sqrp@...
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2013 11:45:52 -0600
Subject: Re: [4sqrp] RTTY in days of old

Great sound from the past   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwIhZwmHe2w 

----------------------------------
Back to the bench, Winter's too valuable to waste.
I love this radio stuff !
72   WA0ITP
www.wa0itp.com
www.4sqrp.com

Join main@4SQRP.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.