Re: QRPspots Android App

wb9dlc <wb9dlc@...>

I'll take a stab at this. I've only had my Android tablet (Google Nexus 7) since Christmas, so I still have a lot to learn.

It appears to me that you can access the internet and web pages with a smart phone or tablet, but the screen typically is much smaller and it is challenging to move around the page and zoom in and enter data, etc.

A well designed app is typically formatted for the smaller screen and makes use of some of the very neat features of the phone or tablet such as auto-rotation for portrait or landscape, GPS positioning so the app knows where you are, screen zoom, etc.

A well written app is typically much easier than accessing via the web. And it provides easy access

Many websites can sense your browser type and automatically route you to a "mobile' website designed for smaller devices. Kinda a cross between a normal wesite and an app.

QRZ.com even has an Android app - QRZDROID - t access callsigns quickly and in a simple format.

Hope that helps.

Mike Barrell / wb9dlc
http://wb9dlc.com

--- In 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com, Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@...> wrote:

On Fri, 2013-03-01 at 20:47 -0600, Johnny Matlock wrote:

OK, I'll bite and show my modern device ignorance. ;-)

Terry if you see this first you can disregard my direct email.
I'm going to go ahead and embarrass myself. This is basically
a copy of an offlist email I sent Terry.

What the difference in the new QRPSPOTS app and just doing it
direct from my android cell phone? I've been accessing
QRPSPOTS from my android cell phone (Samsung Galaxy II 4g) for
over a year now. While I know a little bit about antennas and
radios, I'm not a computer/cell phone/android person. It is a
cool app and it may be that all android devices can't access
that page like the Galaxy does?
It might be a simple or basic question but I am just
curious to know the difference.

I just did a very quick and simple test post using my cell
direct first and then via the new app and don't see any
operational or speed differences.

Cheerfully awaiting the most obvious and embarrassing answer,

Randy_KB4QQJ
Hi,

I wondered the same thing when I saw that. I have one of those "smart
alec" phones but I just use my computer. I have used the phone for
accessing web pages... so..

What is the attraction?

73,

Bill KU8H