Re: QRPspots Android App

kb4qqj

Thanks Mike,
That makes sense. My phone does all of that via the web and at about the same speed, but I do notice the apps are accessing QRZ and some of the clusters differently. I've just noticed that after playing with the new QRPSPOTS app. I think if I were in a remote areas where there was no 3g/4g or WI-FI the app woud do far better than the direct method. It seems that way anyhow. I'll eventually test it this weekend from some sites I know I don't normally get web access from with the Galaxy.
Thanks for the info.

Randy_KB4QQJ

In a message dated 3/1/2013 11:01:55 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, wb9dlc@... writes:

I'll take a stab at this. I've only had my Android tablet (Google Nexus 7) since Christmas, so I still have a lot to learn.

It appears to me that you can access the internet and web pages with a smart phone or tablet, but the screen typically is much smaller and it is challenging to move around the page and zoom in and enter data, etc.

A well designed app is typically formatted for the smaller screen and makes use of some of the very neat features of the phone or tablet such as auto-rotation for portrait or landscape, GPS positioning so the app knows where you are, screen zoom, etc.

A well written app is typically much easier than accessing via the web. And it provides easy access

Many websites can sense your browser type and automatically route you to a "mobile' website designed for smaller devices. Kinda a cross between a normal wesite and an app.

QRZ.com even has an Android app - QRZDROID - t access callsigns quickly and in a simple format.

Hope that helps.

Mike Barrell / wb9dlc
http://wb9dlc.com