Re: Ice Storm in Michigan - generators

Wendell Morrill

Question - Do natural gas lines ever shut down? Are they pressurized with
air, and if so, how reliable are the pumps?
Wendell

Hi,

My experience with "emergency" or "alternate" power sources fits right
in. Use it or lose it. I went shares with a brother-in-law on a nice
generator unit and he kept it at his home - where it was much more
likely to be needed. HOA, urban environment, all of that helpless stuff.
It sat in the corner of his garage untouched for about two years. All of
you know what happened when he actually needed it. Well his basement
flooded. Them city folk don't know any better than to build houses down
in a hole where a pump is required to keep it from flooding. In the same
power outage at my home all the rain ran down the hill *away* from the
house.

I plan to build up a natural gas powered generator and supply the whole
village when the power goes out. Oh wait - it ain't April yet. The
electric utilities (no names but "Consumer's Energy") here used to
repair power outages in minutes to a few hours. The past decade or so
they seem to think it's okay to leave us without water and heat for days
and weeks. Please 'scuse my bad attitude toward them. The water I need
to pump is from my well - NOT from my basement. This house ain't built
down in a hole, either.

If you have them - use them.

73,

Bill KU8H