Re: Ice Storm in Michigan - generators

Shawn Reed <neivahul@...>

On 12/30/2013 3:41 PM, wmorrill@... wrote:

I was thinking about long term emergency situations. I assumed that
natural gas via pipelines would be reliable, but if the pipes must be
pressurized for the system to work, perhaps the pumps that supply the
pressure might be inoperative.

> On 12/30/2013 2:20 PM, wmorrill@... wrote:
>>
>> Question - Do natural gas lines ever shut down? Are they pressurized
>> with
>> air, and if so, how reliable are the pumps?
>> Wendell
>>
>> >Natural gas is piped under pressure. High and intermediate, (IP-60psi
>> ?) and regulated at the house, low pressure, down to something less
>> than 2 psi. If a pipeline were to suffer a leak, or break, it would be
>> shut down for the repair to be made. Back a bit, in years, natural
>> gas was pumped into the ground, to fill the void left from extracting
>> any oil --in Montana. In a manner, storing it. Nature may be the
>> original "pressurizer", tho, I imagine relay stations are utilized.
>> When out in the country, propane is delivered, under pressure, in any
>> amount you can afford. Then, a finer grade is used for minature camp
>> stoves. This, to offset that, and then something else, but I forgot
>> what it was! I know there is some volumn involved, --a bit like
>> voltage. But then again, I may have forgotten some important facts,
>> and I may have it all wrong. 73, Shawnr kf7yff

It is sort of like being on the grid, or not. You are far better off not being on the grid.  Every thing has it's own fate. Shawnr kf7yff