Second Sunday Sprint Coming up

John Lonigro

If you haven't looked at your calendar lately, you may not have noticed that this coming Sunday, January 12th, is the 2nd Sunday of the month, which means SECOND SUNDAY SPRINT (or SSS for short). Dust off those keys/paddles and get ready for 2 hours of sprint madness (or at least sprint mild excitement). Here are the details:

Date/time: Sunday, 12 January, 2014, 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm CST. Note: We can't use UTC because then it would be Monday! But for you DX stations out there, it is 13 January, 0100 - 0300Z.

Bands: 160M through 10M, but never the WARC bands or 60M.
Frequencies: The usual QRP frequencies - don't forget 7122 kHz and 3564 kHz.
Power: 5 Watts maximum. 1 Watt or less (QRPp) is impressive, but not worth any extra credit.
Mode: CW or sideband.
Exchange: RST, SPC, and member number (members) or RST, SPC, power (non-members).
Calling CQ: "CQ 4S" seems to be the standard.

Reporting:
This is where higher math is required. You need to add up your QSOs for each band and send them to me. We're assuming everyone is honest and I'll be darned if I'm going to try to cross-check QSOs. A typical report would be:

Name: Fido
Call: K9DOG
4SQRP number: 5280
Results:
40M: 1 QSO (N0CAT)
80M: 1 QSO (N0CAT) (Same station, two different bands counts for 2 contacts)
Total: 2 QSOs (I told you higher math is required).

When you've totaled your score, please send it to: secondsundaysprint@... <mailto:secondsundaysprint@...>. Put "Sprint" in the subject line, include your name, call and your 4SQRP member number. Send the results before Wednesday, January 15th. That means send them between 9:00 Sunday night and midnight Tuesday night. I'll tally the results and publish them on this reflector as soon as possible, probably Wednesday morning. Please don't send results Wednesday or later. This is not like Field Day. There are no multipliers or bonus points to compute or evidence to gather. I suggest you send in the results shortly after 9:00 pm Sunday so you don't forget.

Please keep this email until after you've submitted your score for Sunday. I'll send brief reminders both Saturday and Sunday (but only if I remember). I'll also send a reminder about reporting your score. And, if all goes well, I'll report the results on Wednesday. The results will be for Sunday's sprint and cumulative scores since November. Remember, the person with the most contacts between November, 2013 and September, 2014 will be allowed to use the club's callsign, WQ5RP, for the 4X4 sprint in October, 2014.

Unless I've made a grave error, these same rules are posted on the 4SQRP website, under "4SQRP On Air Activities", just in case you delete this email. Also, future reminders won't be half this long.

72 and good luck in the contest,

John AA0VE
SSS Coordinator