Re: What are the letter codes for numbers for CW?

Jim Sheldon

Having been a "morse intercept operator" many years ago, I had to learn the "cut" numbers. The standard ones are:
1-A
2-U
3-W
4-V
5-E
6-B
7-Z
8-D
9-N
0-T

The ones generally in use by today's hams are A, E, N and T for 1, 5, 9 and 0 respectively.

Jim, W0EB

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 15, 2014, at 6:35 PM, Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com> wrote:

On 02/15/2014 07:18 PM, Rick Bennett wrote:
IMHO one should probably avoid the more obscure shortcuts. N for 9 is
pretty common, but I would honestly not know any of the rest of them
and I am guessing a lot of other operators out there won't either. As
my fine CW teachers pointed out if we are going to be good
communicators it is best to avoid abbreviations and shortcuts that
most people won't recognize. If in doubt just spell it out.

My $.02

de KC0PET, Rick
Rick,

Make that four cents. There once was the long dash (not a 'T') as a
substitute for zero but if you don't use a straight key or a bug you're
out of luck sending one of those. Most of the time when we try to make
shortcuts and abbreviations we end up with meaningless alphabet soup,
babbling, and straight gibberish. 'N' and '9' are completely different
things and that's why they are spelled differently. I do know from
overexposure what the 5NN is but if that 'N' get used in another
context...well I just shrug, take a sip of coffee, and move on.

That's a lot for an additional two cents.

73,

Bill KU8H

4SQRP Website: http://4sqrp.com
OzarkCon is coming April 4-5, 2014 in Branson, MO
View Details at http://www.ozarkcon.com/index.phpYahoo Groups Links