March SSS this coming Sunday

John Lonigro

This coming Sunday is the 2nd Sunday of the month, which means SECOND SUNDAY SPRINT (SSS). Whether you have ice on ants, ants on ice, antennas on the ground or a grounded antenna, you've got about 4 days to straighten it all out and get on the air.

Here are the details:

Date/time: Sunday, 9 Mar, 2014, 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm CST (0100 - 0300Z Monday).
Bands: 160M through 10M, no WARC bands or 60M.
Frequencies: The usual QRP watering holes - don't forget 7122 kHz and 3564 kHz.
Power: 5 Watts maximum.
Mode: CW or sideband.
Exchange: RST, SPC, and member number (members) or RST, SPC, power (non-members).
Calling CQ: "CQ 4S" recommended.

Note: Contacts with the same station on different bands are allowed. In case there is any sideband activity, the sideband and CW portions of the same band count as two separate bands.

Reporting:
Add up your QSOs for each band/mode and send them to me. I'm requesting one additional piece of data: your QTH. It is interesting to see how widespread participation is in this sprint. Note: QTH is not required for your exchange (not prohibited either). Just include YOUR QTH in your report.

With that in mind, a typical report would be:

Name: Fido
Call: K9MUT
QTH: Dogtown, KS
4SQRP number: 5280
Results:
40M CW: 2 QSOs
40M SSB: 1 QSO
80M CW: 1 QSO
80M SSB: 1 QSO
Total: 5 QSOs

You do not need to list the stations contacted. But if you make an exotic contact, you might as well brag about it in an optional bragging section at the bottom of your submittal. I'll include comments when I report the scores (no extra credit).

When you've totaled your score, please send it to: secondsundaysprint@4sqrp.com. Put "Sprint" in the subject line. Please avoid "replying" to one of my emails. The sprint results go to a separate mailbox. Send the results before Wednesday (between 9:00 Sunday night and midnight Tuesday night). I'll tally everything and publish them on this reflector as soon as possible, probably Wednesday morning. I suggest you send them in shortly after 9:00 pm Sunday so you don't forget. If you see a mistake or omission when I publish the results, let me know and I'll fix it.

Please keep this email until after you've submitted your score for Sunday. Remember, the person with the most SSS contacts between November, 2013 and September, 2014 will be allowed to use the club's callsign, WQ5RP, for the 4X4 sprint in October, 2014.

The SSS rules are posted on the 4SQRP website, under "4SQRP On Air Activities", just in case you deleted this email.

72 and good luck in the contest,

John AA0VE
SSS Coordinator