RE -A NEW KEY AND AS HAPPY AS A FAT HOG IN THE SUN

Aaron Bailey

MANY THANKS TO ALL ,,, I cpy,,, The collective brain of the group has spoken and I will suppress my urge to spray WD-40 into the key and I WILL NOT take it apart.  The group has saved my key and I have reset my thinking and that screw fills a hole, nothing more,,,, and nothing less.

Yes, boxed, unbuilt Heathkits are like gold.  Recently, on ebay,  a HW-8 kit went for $515 and another went for $497, almost 4 times the original price.  I'm a Heathkit nut but I wasn't the buyer.  I purchased my spare kit back in 1980.

72/73
George Bailey WA5HRC
Sherwood, Arkansas

Greetings fellow QRPers,    My name is George Bailey WA5HRC and I'm on the same wavelength with you as I operate QRP with a HW-8 that I built in 1980 and, just to make you drool, I also have an unbuilt  HW-8 still in the sealed factory box that I hold as a spare.  I'm new to the newsgroup and mainly I enjoy reading and learning from the different postings.    But now I have a burning question that cannot be found with a google and I need to pick at the collective brain of the group.   At a hamfest recently, it was my good fortune to find and purchase a mint condition WWII Navy Flameproof Key # CMI-26003A.  It is such a nice key to send with that I've shelved my trusty ole J-38.   Between the adjustment screws is what looks to be a 6/32 screw and when removed it is only about 3/16 of a inch long.  When I shine a light down into the screw hole I see only a void area.  As to the function of this screw, I would guess it is acting as a cap for the void and further that some compound, lube and/or contact cleaner,  is supposed to be sprayed into the key through the screw hole.  Can anyone expand on this?
72/73
George