Re: RE -A NEW KEY AND AS HAPPY AS A FAT HOG IN THE SUN

Aaron Bailey

Hi Chip, nice to meet u.  Real dollar value aside, radio love is strange, like beauty, it resides in the eye of the beholder.  Yes, the HW-8 is a simple, build-it-yourself radio with real control knobs and modern radios can perform circles around it, but for me it has charm.  I shake at the key when I work DX with it, just like when I made my first QSO so many years ago, and Ham Radio never grows old.  The HW-8 is a fun machine and maybe that's why it goes for $512 on ebay.  That's a nice photo of u with the K2.
72/73
George WA5HRC

To: "4sqrp@..." <4sqrp@...>
Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2014 11:07 AM
Subject: Re: [4sqrp] RE -A NEW KEY AND AS HAPPY AS A FAT HOG IN THE SUN

According to the government, $1 in 1980 bought what $2.83 buys now, so an unbuilt HW-8 carries a bit of a premium on Ebay, but not really outrageous. Now if we look at radio performance per dollar, well that would be a very different story!
Chip
AE5KA
On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 4:09 AM, Aaron Bailey <laika1st@...> wrote:

MANY THANKS TO ALL ,,, I cpy,,, The collective brain of the group has spoken and I will suppress my urge to spray WD-40 into the key and I WILL NOT take it apart.  The group has saved my key and I have reset my thinking and that screw fills a hole, nothing more,,,, and nothing less.

Yes, boxed, unbuilt Heathkits are like gold.  Recently, on ebay,  a HW-8 kit went for $515 and another went for $497, almost 4 times the original price.  I'm a Heathkit nut but I wasn't the buyer.  I purchased my spare kit back in 1980.

72/73
George Bailey WA5HRC
Sherwood, Arkansas

Greetings fellow QRPers,    My name is George Bailey WA5HRC and I'm on the same wavelength with you as I operate QRP with a HW-8 that I built in 1980 and, just to make you drool, I also have an unbuilt  HW-8 still in the sealed factory box that I hold as a spare.  I'm new to the newsgroup and mainly I enjoy reading and learning from the different postings.    But now I have a burning question that cannot be found with a google and I need to pick at the collective brain of the group.   At a hamfest recently, it was my good fortune to find and purchase a mint condition WWII Navy Flameproof Key # CMI-26003A.  It is such a nice key to send with that I've shelved my trusty ole J-38.   Between the adjustment screws is what looks to be a 6/32 screw and when removed it is only about 3/16 of a inch long.  When I shine a light down into the screw hole I see only a void area.  As to the function of this screw, I would guess it is acting as a cap for the void and further that some compound, lube and/or contact cleaner,  is supposed to be sprayed into the key through the screw hole.  Can anyone expand on this?
72/73
George

Join main@4SQRP.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.