I think email texting is one source for these changes. Before retiring I often used Qualcomm, and in these past fifteen years I've seen changes that I recognized.

n7net

Sent from my iPad

On May 12, 2014, at 6:11 PM, "Charles Moizeau w2sh@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Language is living and in constant change, but at a fairly leisurely rate.  As has been noted, "tks" is biting away at "tnx", and it's just a whisker shorter to send.  "Name" is often upstaged by a slightly quicker-to-send "op".  I don't use the latter because it  would reveal me as being an "olde pharte"; guess what?  I am!  I rigorously avoid "cul" because in my natal language it refers to an intimate body part.

72,

Charles, W2SH

To: 4sqrp@...
CC: aldenmcduffie@...
From: 4sqrp@...
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 11:27:52 -0500
Subject: [4sqrp] MORSE HAS FEW HETERONYMS

Hey 4SQRPers, 05/12/14

Yup, the English Language - most languages for that matter - is full of inconsistencies.

These likely come for new words arriving from a village nearby that have a different

meaning but the same sound. Do this for hundreds of years and you get an increasing number of quasi-redundancies.

HOWEVER, Morse Code, is a new language time wise thanks to Mr Morse who coined it in 1836 or

there abouts.  That's like yesterday compared to say Latin or Greek.

I've begun studying Morse as a language and hope to summarize my findings for the Banner

sometime later in the year or next year. One of the interesting things I've found is that a majority

of words used in a casual QSO, such as TNX, FB, etc, are made up by hams. And the language

continues to evolve. An example of that is the arrival of the word "TU" for "thank you."

I've been keeping a copy of some of my rag chew QSOs and counting the frequency of use of

each of the words. The leading words so far are: ES, FB, 73, FER, IS, and TNX. I don't have enough

QSO samples yet to get a good ranking.

Of course contest words are different, the top rank is obvious, "5NN." I'm not collecting those

QSOs since that activity is pretty much call sign copying, i.e 700,000 call signs in the USA alone.

What is apparent so far is that comprehension for languages, including Morse Code, increases when enough words
are tied together for a thought. If a verb is included this aids the reader/listener to better comprehend of thought/sentence sent.
For example, when QTH is sent, you expect to get back a state abbreviation next rather than 5NN or something else.
Where is the verb? It is embedded in the QTH but we intuitively understant that. "My location IS...." Content matters in understanding.

Where I'm going with this is the idea that practicing Morse Code with short familiar messages should

increase one's ability to copy the QSO. And the rate needs to be high enough to begin to hear the words

and not the individual dits and dahs. Twenty WPM would be a minimum.

More later! Ain't ham radio fun! Uncle Phil, W0XI