From: "Bill Cromwell wrcromwell@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...>
To: 4sqrp@...
Sent: Thursday, May 15, 2014 10:17:19 PM
Subject: Re: [4sqrp] Wed, night PSK checkins.

On 05/15/2014 10:08 PM, Rick Bennett kc0pet@... [4sqrp] wrote:
> I have always used Digpan for PSK31. Mainly just because I am used to
> it. For any other mode, I use fldigi.
>
> My interface is a very simple home brew thing in an altoids tin. Just
> pots to adjust the RX and TX levels and a simple transistor keying
> circuit from a serial port. No isolation, I was lucky that this
> worked. It is an old computer (yes, still running the doomed XP). My
> plan is to re-load the computer with linux, then I will just use
> fldigi for everything.
>
> de KC0PET, Rick

Hi Rick,

Coupla things...

You can run your XP machine forever with impunity as long as you don't
connect it to the internet. Use it just for your ham radio. The big
issue is going to be security vulnerabilities with exposure to the
internet.

If you do switch to Linux you may find that a lot of your MS Windows ham
software will run in WINE. Wine is the Linux support system for MS
Windows programs to run in Linux. It's not an emulator and some things
won't work well or even not at all. Don't try to run the Windows Office
Suite stuff under WINE. Or internet explorer (who would wanna run
that!). I have had most of the SDR and DSP software running in WINE.
Software for the digital modes, too. So if you have some favorites that
don't have a Linux version you might find that it will run just fine in
WINE. Spectran and Spectrum Lab are two that I like very well and have
no Linux versions. Both run perfectly in WINE. Just a couple of examples.

73,

Bill KU8H

--
QRP....."more smiles per watt"