Second Sunday Sprint

John Lonigro

This coming Sunday is the 2nd Sunday of the month, which means it's again time for the SECOND SUNDAY SPRINT (SSS).

REMEMBER: The person with the highest cumulative score between November, 2013 and September, 2014 is allowed to use the club callsign (WQ5RP) for the October 4x4 contest, if he so chooses. You have just 3 months left to earn this honor.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************
This time only, I'm going to ask everyone to send in their score immediately after the Sprint (Sunday night or Monday morning). I'll be busy most of next week and that's the only way I'll be sure to update the database in a timely manner. In case someone does not get the message and sends in his score after I tally everything, I'll issue a revision later in the month. You'll still get credit. Thanks.

Here are the details, which should be familiar to all by now:

Date/time: Sunday, 13 July, 2014, 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm CDT (0000 - 0200Z Monday).
Bands: 160M through 10M, no WARC bands or 60M.
Frequencies: The usual QRP watering holes - don't forget 7122 kHz and 3564 kHz.
Power: 5 Watts maximum.
Mode: CW or sideband.
Exchange: RST, SPC, and member number (members) or RST, SPC, power (non-members).
Calling CQ: "CQ 4S" recommended.

Note: Contacts with the same station on different bands are allowed. In case there is any sideband activity, the sideband and CW portions of the same band count as two separate bands.

Reporting:
Add up your QSOs for each band/mode and send them to me. I'm requesting one additional piece of data: your QTH. It is interesting to see how widespread participation is in this sprint. Note: QTH (other than SPC) is not required for your exchange (not prohibited either). Just include YOUR QTH in your report.

With that in mind, a typical report would be:

Name: Fido
Call: K9MUT
QTH: Branson, MO
4SQRP number: 5280
Results:
40M CW: 2 QSOs
40M SSB: 1 QSO
80M CW: 1 QSO
80M SSB: 1 QSO
Total: 5 QSOs

You do not need to list the stations contacted. But if you make an exotic contact, you might as well brag about it in an optional bragging section at the bottom of your submittal. I'll include comments when I report the scores (no extra credit).

When you've totaled your score, please send it to: secondsundaysprint@.... Put "Sprint" in the subject line. Please avoid "replying" to one of my emails. The sprint results go to a separate mailbox. Send the results by Monday morning (between 9:00 Sunday night and 9:00 Monday morning). I'll tally everything and publish them on this reflector as soon as possible. I suggest you send them in shortly after 9:00 pm Sunday so you don't forget. If you see a mistake or omission when I publish the results, let me know and I'll fix it.

Keep this email until after you've submitted your score for Sunday. Remember, the person with the most SSS contacts between November, 2013 and September, 2014 will be allowed to use the club's callsign, WQ5RP, for the 4X4 sprint in October, 2014.

The SSS rules are posted on the 4SQRP website, under "4SQRP On Air Activities", just in case you delete this email.

As noted last month, some of you may not want to use the club call for the 4x4 Sprint, for one reason or another. Don't let that keep you from entering the Second Sunday Sprint as much as possible. If, at the end of September, you find yourself the winner for the year, you can always turn down the honor of using the club call and humbly accept the certificate I intend to make for the top three winners. In that case, the 2nd place finisher will get the honor. This doesn't really change the rules. It clarifies what happens if the winner declines to use the club call. And its sole purpose is to encourage everyone to participate in the SSS as much as they can.

72 and good luck in the contest,

John AA0VE
SSS Coordinator