Re: Ozark Patrol Regen Receiver A+

Bill Cromwell

Hi Curt,

Actually there are hams who use regens coupled with a TX on the ham bands. I did a few years ago and had a lot of fun. I plan to do it some more. It's not as difficult to build a supehet with an xtal filter as it once was and so if a new ham feels up to a bit of a challenge it can be done. I built one from the ARRL Handbooks that was built and written up by Doug DeMaw. It uses four of the inexpensive color burst crystals - three in the IF filter and one for the BFO. Admittedly I had some experience by that time but mine worked the first time I powered it on. I've been lucky like that two or three times <evil grin>. Most of the time there is a bug or two. That's why we we build in stages and test each stage before moving on.

Purchasing a commercially built receiver is not a bad idea even if we do eventually build most of our own gear. One that has general coverage can be used in so many ways in addition to working on all the ham bands (MF/HF). But I would encourage anybody who has the desire to jump in and start building. So what if you let the smoke out of some parts. We *ALL* did that. That's why it's a common, inside joke :)

73,

Bill KU8H

On 07/28/2014 12:51 PM, wb8yyy@... [4sqrp] wrote:

Nate

I am no expert in radio history, and even 'that period' where AC-1 was used was before my time (although I did own an R5 SWL receiver that may have only been paired in advertising!). I am thinking that most beginners/hams with smaller investments would use a commercial receiver with their homebrew transmitter in the 1950 - 1970 era. A decent receiver was a bit complex even with tube technology, and multiple xtals in a receiver were rather exotic except for very high end receivers.

If you want to go vintage perhaps consider building a superhet (or even a DC receiver) and outfitting it with a vintage front panel look (yes same ideal as Ozark Patrol appearance).

A local friend here is building his old novice station - and did find an SX-110. I remember some of these types of receivers having nice 'bandspread' for the ham bands to allow someone to use it after being licensed from SWL only service. But you might enjoy something with a bit more selectivity -- our bands may be a bit more crowded than 1950-something.

In spite of ARRL beginner books promoting the build of a homebrew regen, I am thinking that most folk would have taken the expense of parts toward buying a used receiver -- even the ARRL book admitted its rather high cost. The age of the regen was clearly pre-WW2.

73 Curt

PS - one should build a regen just for the experience! but I don't expect to plug one into my Magic Box