First Ozark-17 QSO

Nick-WA5BDU

The Ozark-17 was a 17 meter transceiver on a board that was given out as a lagniappe at OzarkCon 2004, I think.  I built mine in 2005 but had never managed a QSO with it until today.

It's a pretty neat design by Tommy WD5AGO with a superhet receiver and crystal filter and VXO controlled TX running about 1.5 to 2 watts out.  One problem was that the VXO would only reach about 18.090 at the lower limit and although the "official" QRP frequency is 18.096, it seems most activity is lower.  That and I just don't get on 17 meters much.  And don't have an antenna for it.

About a month ago I got into trying to make a QSO every day, inspired by Herb WR9H.  That's a big deal for me because I can go a month without a QSO while working on homebrew or programming projects.

After that got going good, I figured I showed try a "rig a day" along with it, at least until I ran out of radios.  I did OK with K3, KX3, 2N2/40, HW8, IC706IIG (mobile) but when I got to the Ozark 17, I struck out.  (Made my QSO that day with a different rig.)  I knew I was in trouble when I didn't get a single spot on the RBN.

So it's all propagation.  I fired off a few CQs this evening and got spotted by about four skimmers.  In short order I had a response from WB2LQF in NY.

Another rig heard from!

73-

Nick, WA5BDU