Re: punches

Jim Beard

Gary your idea sounds good it’s a pretty unique size.
Not sure if this will come through but I included a 2 page pdf file.
The Octal socket - if yours is like this one requires a 1.172” hole size. The 2nd page shows the standard Greenlee punches and their hole sizes. I believe step drill will be the best.

Jim Beard

On Sep 11, 2014, at 9:33 AM, Gary Ekker gardenerguy8@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Step drill bits worked well for me.  I picked up a 3 bit set from Harbor Freight.  The largest size was just right for octal socket.  I've found many uses for those bits.

Gary/KF7WNS

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 7:26 AM, Don Wilhelm w3fpr@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Be aware of the actual hole size.  The ones I see listed as '3/4 inch' and '1/2 inch'  are substantially larger - they are referred to by the size of electrical conduit.  It used to be that you could buy actual sizes for tube sockets, 1/2, 3/4, 1 1/8, 1 1/4 inch at radio parts distributors, but that day seems to be gone.

Step drill bits are a good alternative for tube socket punches.

73,
Don W3FPR