Re: QRP fun

David Martin <davemrtn@...>

There you go Chris, I call that fun.

I feel sorry for those whose only activity is just contesting, chasing a piece of paper or rag chewing.

Enjoy the hobby and fun !

On 10/07/2014 01:12 PM, Chris Howard w0ep w0ep@... [4sqrp] wrote:
�

I've built a few kits and repaired various radios.
And I've read ARRL handbooks, other books. I
can read the block diagrams and sort of understand
the schematics. A lot of intimidating stuff.

But I really had fun this weekend finally playing around
with a ne602 mixer and a signal generator and the
4sqrp Hi-per-mite. I had bought that thing as an audio
filter. But I saw the AA7EE webpage where Dave Richard
uses it for the complete backend of a DC receiver and
I decided to lash it up and see what happens.

Sure enough, I can hear signals through the thing
even without any filtering on the antenna side of the
mixer. I know I'm breaking all of the RF construction
rules by using a push-in proto-board thing and having
bare wires flying around. But I was tickled to
tune around and see what I could hear.

I wasn't even running 12 volts to the Hi-per-mite, just 5v
to that and the ne602.

--
David Martin - K5DCM ---o0o---
Mountain Home, Arkansas

Definition: Voter Apathy - When a jerk wearing a robe can overturn the vote of the people, what's the point of voting ?

�