Re: PCB Cleaner

David Martin <davemrtn@...>

I am not sure of your application methods, but I have never experienced what you claimed while using acetone.

It's not the conductivity of rosin core that's the issue, it is it's affinity for moisture and it's effects on high impedance circuits, especially over time.

On 10/19/2014 06:00 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
Dave,

I too have used acetone, but it can 'clean' the color bands off resistors and attack plastic (inductor winding forms and relay bodies) - alcohol does not.

That being said, I do not advocate cleaning PC boards at all.
If you reserve the Kester 44 solder (it has a highly reactive flux) for antenna projects and working with component leads that have become corroded and switch to a solder with a mildly reactive flux such as Kester 285, you will have hardly any solder flux residue to contend with and you can leave the boards uncleaned.

As I indicated, solder flux is non-conductive, and does no harm if left in place.  Clean boards at your own peril.
Do stay away from the solders with a water soluble flux, those *must* be cleaned completely because the flux is corrosive.  It is mostly intended for manufacturing applications where it can be cleaned with a hot water pressure spray.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 10/19/2014 6:38 PM, David Martin davemrtn@... [4sqrp] wrote:

Rich,
    I have used alcohol solutions in the past and always felt like it was noy completely clean, just because of the way the board looked.

    I had used small amounts of acetone before to spot clean but was always afraid of using it exclusively.

    When I ordered my first radio kit from Elecraft, I called Elecraft and ask one of their engineers what they used to clean boards.  He told me they used acetone.

    I have since switched to using acetone exclusively.  I keep a jar with a lid on it that is large enough to contain 'Q-Tips' in it and put acetone in the jar.
    Using the acetone soaked Q-Tip's cleans the boards spotless.  I solder a few parts, then clean those spots, repeating until the board is complete.

On 10/19/2014 03:26 PM, k8meg@... [4sqrp] wrote:

I was a stamp collector in my youth/teenage. I had put it aside after I got interested in ham radio and received my ticket.  I thought I was done with that hobby and gave my collection to my daughter who in turn gave it to my granddaughter. I have renewed my interest in collecting so I can help my granddaughter.

Any of you that know a little about stamp collecting you know that water soaking the stamps is the number one way of removing them from the paper. Problem is that now the self stick stamps of today will not come off of the paper with water. One of the way to remove the stamps is to use an air freshener. You spray the backside of the paper and peel the stamp off. For the rest of the story, you need to rub baby powder on the stamp to get rid of the sticky.

This air freshener is Pure Citrus Orange, 100% natural non-aerosol.  I find it removes labels and sticky from jars, labels on tools, etc. Recently doing repair work, I tried it to remove flux and gunk from a PCB. Sprayed it on the board and let it run off to a paper towel. Using a paper towel to wipe board just shreds the paper towel. Cloth like an old tee shirt cleans and dries the PCB without residue.

There is a warning about not spraying on plastic. Maybe other cautions that may concern the user. Sometimes I will rinse with water if it's a big area. YMMV.

73,

Rich K8MEG

--
David Martin - K5DCM ---o0o---
Mountain Home, Arkansas

Definition: Voter Apathy - When a jerk wearing a robe can overturn the vote of the people, what's the point of voting ?