Re: crystal sockets or mounting pins

John Lonigro

Carrying this thought a little further, I'm wondering if there would be some way to run the crystal case ground to a third pin and not need paperclips at all.  I'm not familiar with the SAVXO, NS40, or PIGRIG pcb's, but if there were room, you could get a 4 machine pin SIP socket, remove the 2nd pin (as before), bend the 4th pin at a 90 degree angle, and solder a bare wire to that pin.  Then you could solder that socket to the PCB, running the bare wire to ground.  Solder the crystal to a 2nd 4 pin SIP socket and run the case ground to the 4th pin.  When the crystal is plugged into the board, the case will automatically be grounded.  Just a thought.

72,

John AA0VE

On 03/09/2013 09:25 AM, Tim McDonough N9PUZ wrote:

If you need a more robust technique also remember that machine pin type
sockets stack easily. You could take another similar piece and solder
the crystal to it so you are not stressing the crystal leads each time
you insert or remove it.

Another good use for these strips is as sockets and connectors in your
construction projects. Rather than solder all of the leads from switches
and pots to the circuit board you can attach them to a socket and then
plug that into a second socket mounted on your PCB. If you ever have to
remove the board for repairs it's easy to unplug things.

Tim N9PUZ