Re: PCB etching

David Martin <davemrtn@...>

It's easier to remove the transferred imagine using acetone, which is what you would do after finishing the etching.

After [laser jet] printing on glossy magazine pages, etc. and having to transfer the image several times to get a complete transfer, I was never satisfied with the remaining copper because it always had pitting and sometimes narrow traces with a very fine break in the conductor (open circuit).

I found some fantastic materials on the internet that absolutely provides a perfect transfer the first time and additional materials that fills the teenie-tiny pores in the laser jet transfer and eliminates the pitting in the remaining copper.

Check out the materials at -
http://www.pcbfx.com/main_site/pages/start_here/overview.html

You can purchase packages of the individual materials (transfer paper, toner reactive foils [seals the transfer], and a white trf foil to apply a "silkscreen" looking image on the component side of the board to label component locations, etc.  or they sell a kit with all the materials including several sheets of copper clad material, the kit is called PCB Fab-in-a-box.

The kit does not include etching chemicals.

On 12/24/2014 09:53 AM, 'John R. Lonigro' jonigro@... [4sqrp] wrote:

I use the process Terry describes and it works great.  For paper, I use glossy paper from a magazine.  A page from QST might work, but those pages are awfully thin these days.  I have an old issue of Aircraft Survivability magazine (not available on newsstands) which has nice thick pages, at least before they went digital.  Regular printer paper will not work.  The toner sticks too well to it and doesn't stay on the PCB when you try to separate the two.

One good feature of this method is, if you mess up and the transfer didn't work too well, simply get some steel wool, clean the PCB thoroughly, reprint the pattern, and try again.  But if you have the correct paper and use care, you'll seldom have to redo it.

72 and happy holidays,

John AA0VE

On 12/24/2014 09:20 AM, WA0ITP wa0itp@... [4sqrp] wrote:

For an easy process check out this page  http://www.wa0itp.com/easypcbs9.pdf  The board shown was for this project  http://www.wa0itp.com/mas80.html    I've been etching boards this way for some time now with good results. One I etched a coupla days ago is attached, it's 1" x 2".   W0OTM used Adobe and Photoshop to clean up the image before printing,  thanks Marshall.

--
72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.

On 12/23/2014 12:01 AM, Jeremy Utley jerutley@... [4sqrp] wrote:
I was looking around at some "maker" type sites tonite, and ran across
this site.  Apologies if this has already been posted, or if it's not
of interest to anyone - but I found it an interesting process, and
thought some of you might too!

http://quinndunki.com/blondihacks/?p=835

Jeremy, NQ0M
Iola, KS

------------------------------------
Posted by: Jeremy Utley
------------------------------------

4SQRP Website: http://4sqrp.com
OzarkCon is coming April 4-5, 2014 in Branson, MO

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    4sqrp-digest@...
    4sqrp-fullfeatured@...

72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.
wa0itp@...

--
David Martin - K5DCM ---o0o---
Mountain Home, Arkansas

Definition: Voter Apathy - When a jerk wearing a robe can overturn the vote of the people, what's the point of voting ?