Re: antenna issue found

Nick-WA5BDU

Well, of course you'll get different opinions from different people and this is just mine.� Some folks think the antenna will set the tree on fire!

I've had both insulated and bare wires in contact with limbs, leaves, etc.� Hard to do otherwise on my lot if you want an antenna of any length.� Sometimes the limbs or trunk will even grow around the wire.� I guess it's possible there's some signal loss, but I don't think it's significant.

On VHF and FM broadcast, there's no doubt that summer foliage degrades reception in fringe areas.�� But being fringe probably means the signal is passing through *lots* of vegetation on the way.� I haven't seen any authoritative info to say that this is an issue at HF.

73-

Nick, WA5BDU

On 3/11/2013 9:42 PM, Todd F. Carney / K7TFC wrote:
�

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 6:53 PM, Nick-WA5BDU�<nick-wa5bdu@...>�wrote:

My antenna wires touch tree limbs all the time.� That shouldn't cause you any problems.

Does it make a difference if the wire is insulated or bare when it touches trees?
�

Todd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
K7TFC / Medford, Oregon, USA / CN82ni / UTC-8
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QRP (CW & SSB) / EmComm / SOTA / Homebrew / Design

Nick, WA5BDU

On 3/10/2013 7:20 PM, Dg Arnholt wrote:
�
kinda thought it was that. still the kenwood shuting down is a mystery..i didnt think it had swr shut down.. hope the finals are ok.�
oh yeah the antenna problem simple :) wire touching a tree..gonna get a rope and pull it off and in the future get some help to move the antenna leg. i would cut the tree but this is rental property

Join main@4SQRP.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.