LOOKING FOR INFORMED OPINION ON STATION GROUNDING PROCEDURE(S)

Phil Anderson

Hey guys,

Getting ready to sheet rock my shack in the basement - to keep it warmer - and pondering how best to provide a safety ground, i.e. electrical ground. Of course, want to wire the ground before adding the rock, hi.

I am assuming the right way is to run a separate (but costly) large copper wire, 160 mil diameter from the earth ground connection at the main electrical box or secondary box (have one of those too) to my station location. Dr. Murphy (of Murphy's Law) of course saw to it that my station is at the other end of the house! Hi.

Then, I noticed that there is a 160 mil (big copper) wire running along a 2x4 header in the basement ceiling to the intake of my water line half way of the basement wall, secured with a ground clamp (which ACE hardware sells too). Hm. Perhaps I could run that remaining ten feet to my bench? I measured the resistance from the bare wire ground on a basement outlet to the water pipe and it is about 3 ohms. So for sure the cold water pipe is connected to my main box ground, likely directly.

However ("There is always an however," Mr Murphy says) the national electrical code - via a google search says DO NOT use a cold water pipe connection for the earth ground in a three prong socket replacement for a two prong socket (1950 era slang). I remember those.

Hm? Unc Phil in cold Lawrence, KS/W0XI