Re: antenna issue found

Cliff Fox (KU4GW)

I saw 2 guys do that at ARRL Field Day one year and bring up the local 2 meter repeater for a short QSO off of a small tree. Pretty wild!

73, Cliff - KU4GW

--- In 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com, w2bpi1@... wrote:

One of the ham mags had a article about using a tree as a vertical. Don't
remember the issue or what the conclusion was. Must not have been good or
guys would be using it for portable work! 72 Geo/W2BPI

In a message dated 3/12/2013 5:47:14 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
bbarley48@... writes:

- I think the answer here might be, "Yes - but..." Even at QRP power
levels, there can be varying amounts of interplay depending on where the tree is
touching the antenna along the voltage/current (impedance) profile of the
antenna. The affect can also be influenced with how wet or dry is the bark
of the tree. There was an article years ago about the US Military using
living trees as vertical antennas... not overwhelming results if I remember
correctly....

72,
Bruce - KK0S

--- In _4sqrp@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:4sqrp@yahoogroups.com) , Nick-WA5BDU
<nick-wa5bdu@> wrote:

My antenna wires touch tree limbs all the time. That shouldn't cause
you any problems.

72,

Nick, WA5BDU

On 3/10/2013 7:20 PM, Dg Arnholt wrote:
kinda thought it was that. still the kenwood shuting down is a
mystery..i didnt think it had swr shut down.. hope the finals are ok.
oh yeah the antenna problem simple :) wire touching a tree..gonna get
a rope and pull it off and in the future get some help to move the
antenna leg. i would cut the tree but this is rental property

cgRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMzYyOTYxMjIz?act=reply&messageNum=645_
(http://groups.yahoo.com/group/4sqrp/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJwMGdzcWM5BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAz
g3MDE2MjU2BGdycHNwSWQDMTcwNTA2MzEwOARtc2dJZAM2NDUEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcnBseQRzdG
ltZQMxMzYyOTYxMjIz?act=reply&messageNum=645) >