Re: Advice for 160 and 80M

JT Croteau <jt.tobit@...>

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 7:57 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:

In the meantime, if you want a good 160 and 80 meter transceiver, may I suggest the Elecraft K1.  Yes, a 160 meter band is not available from Elecraft, but I can supply instructions for adding 160 meters to the K1 2 band board - just send me an email.

Don, that is a good idea to be honest.  I had forgotten there was a non-Elecraft mod to put the K1 on 160M.

I did build a K2 back in late 2007 and made hundreds of contacts from my crappy apartment QTH in a short time.  I never should have sold it.  The KX3 is a good idea but I'd much rather build a few simple monoband or dual band rigs from kits to bring back the smell of solder.  My new QTH in the Ozarks will be in the middle of nowhere, 5 miles from my nearest neighbor so, with some high wire antennas, simple analog rigs should work well.  I don't need/want ever band that a K2 or K3 offers.  160 and 80 are of great interest to me because, since my novice days 27 years ago, I've been stuck in an apartment.  When I move to my land, I will have 5-acres at 1400 feet on one of the highest ridges in the area.  With the exception of some unexpected QSOs on 80, I've never really had a chance to play much on those bands.  40, 30, and 15 are my other primary bands I'd like to focus on.

Unfortunately, I'm a bit impatient at times but I am trying to wait out both the return of qrpkits.com and the 4SQRP SS-40 twins.

If the new QRPkits.com doesn't retire them, I may give the Ft. Tuthill 160 and 15M kits along with the Webber Tri-Bander for 80/40/30 a try.

There are a number of SDR options out there these days some, such as the SDR-Cube project, that don't require a PC, but I still really like a simple analog rig.  I may build the SDR-Cube with a NUE-PSK modem for PSK but I'd rather stay pure analog for CW.

Thanks Don, Curt, et al.

73 de N1ESE