Re: 4S-Link question

Chris Howard w0ep

I think I got it figured out. My problem was
the difference between the labeling and the schematic.

Where the schematic says "speaker" the label says "phones".
Where the schematic says "Comp. Headphones" the label says "speaker"

I think a bit of touch-up on the schematic and I would
be 100% hunky dory. But I did figure it out.

Chris

On 4/2/2015 8:02 PM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
Normal labeling will indicate Line-In and Line-Out. The interface line-in connects to the computer line-out (or speaker) and the interface line-out connects to the computer Line-in (or microphone).

At least that has been the convention that I have had in my mind for a long time.
If you want to feed an iPOD audio to a computer, you would connect the iPOD speaker (or line out) to the computer Line-In (or Mic). The same convention should be used for digital interfaces.

In other words, the convention says what the output or input is to the device that is being labeled - and not to whatever designation on the device to which it is to be connected.

It seems the 4S-Link has differed from the usual conventions - and that can cause confusion.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 4/2/2015 8:04 PM, WA0ITP wa0itp@... [4sqrp] wrote:

Hello Chris, we hoped that the screen printing would be self explanatory.

On the computer side of he interface:
The mic jack is connected to the computer's microphone input jack.
The speaker jack is connect to the comp

On the rig side of the interface:
The Key Jack is connected to your rig''s key jack.
The mic/ptt jack is connect to the your rigs mic jack.
The Key jack is connected to you rig's PTT jack.
All connectors used on the 4S-Link are standard ⅛” (3.5mm) stereo jacks
You will lhave to fabricate a custom mic connector to fit your rig.

Check out the Theory of Operation section of the manual as the PTT line may be handled differently in various software programs.

Good Luck and hope this helps.

72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.
www.wa0itp.com
wa0itp@...
On 4/2/2015 6:22 PM, Chris Howard w0ep w0ep@... [4sqrp] wrote:
Hah! Wrong!

I told you I needed help.

Now I have

computer-side: mic --> computer audio in
transceiver-side: phones --> radio audio out

And I have sound coming out of the speaker.

On 4/2/2015 6:02 PM, Chris Howard w0ep w0ep@... [4sqrp] wrote:

I figured it out.
For posterity:

computer-side: speaker --> radio audio out
computer-side: mic --> computer audio in