Re: Coax shielding "counterpoise"

Forrest Plumstead

I had a friend who wanted to test a field SSB QRP one time. He took a length of coax split the outer cover all the way down stuck the center conductor up a pole and laid the braid on the ground. He did have a successful QSO with it.

73
Forrest WB5HQO
SKCC 6855
NAQCC 3678
4SQRP 857

On Apr 20, 2015 3:10 PM, "Michael McEwen mcewenk5osa@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...> wrote:

One more issue and then back to CW practice.  I have heard that the coax shield functions like a counterpoise with an EFHWA.  If this is correct, it seems to me that the coax length would ideally be about 1/4 wave.  Am I right about this?  What about a multi band EFHWA?

72,
Doc K5OSA - QTH: EM04sr
ARRL
4SQRP #801 - NAQCC #7625 - SKCC #10098 - FISTS #17157 - OMISS #9886

Michael T McEwen
Lt Col, US Army, Ret

Cellular Phone:  580 919-9205
Residence:  580 529-3412