Re: TX project advice

Bill Cromwell

Hi Jon,

Do you have a suitable filter around which to build transmitter? the TX does NOT need a CW bandwidth filter. there are many SSB bandwidth filters ar hamfests and on eBay. Maybe a list member has one you can get. The 3.395 mc filters for Heath and other radios seem common as dirt. Once you have that filter the rest is much easier.

You might have good luck with a phasing SSB rig, too. A combination of of fixed frequency (at IF frequency) and less stringent, homebrew ladder filter can give pretty good results (or so others have testified).

73,

Bill KU8H

On 05/08/2015 02:05 PM, Jon Wanzer jon@kk6gxg.com [4sqrp] wrote:
Greetings Everyone,

I finally have my 40 meter DC receiver in band and working well and the helically wound vertical is all but done. While I want to tweak the AF amp and do some filtering my biggest concern is actually getting on the air before FD.

To this end, I need to build a transmitter. My specifications are... 40 meter, under 5 watts, simple design, commonly/currently available and inexpensive or easily manufactured parts, and now the kicker SSB/CW.

A tall order but hey, you guys, and gals, are the ones who would know. I am skilled in assembly but my EE/RF design skills are still in there infancy. Any suggestions in this area would be greatly appreciated.

​ 72/​
73,

~Jon Wanzer KK6GXG

(408) 515-3583