Re: TX project advice

Donald Kelly

Jon - Congratulations on building your DC receiver. Not many people build from scratch and even fewer build receivers.

Just a thought for future experimentation. You have “Experimental Methods in RF Design”. Later in the book you will find KK7B’s section on higher performance DC receivers.

They are a lot of fun to build.

A good first transmitter design might include W7ZOI’s Universal QRP Transmitter. It is a 1 to 1.5W transmitter using very available parts. It can be a driver for a more powerful TX later on.

This is a good reproduction I found on the WEB. I could send you a copy of the chapter from “Solid State Design for the Radio Amateur”. It is a classic MOPA format that modernized the

legendary designs like the 6AG7/6L6 transmitters many of us used as Novices.

http://www.qsl.net/k0kp/hbrew/qrp_sch.html

It is a limited transmitter but will teach you a lot about TX construction. I have used various power amplifiers over the years.

I casually operated 1.5W with a DC receiver and a simple TX like this for over a year and logged 40 state and 3 foreign countries.

This is a 20W transmitter I built a few years ago. The basic driver is about 1W driving a 2SC1307. It is VXO and covers about 6KHz.

http://i732.photobucket.com/albums/ww328/Don_K5UOS/100_1786.jpg

Good luck with your project.

K5UOS