Re: Field Day

John Lonigro

Chas:

1) Calling CQ at 5W might be tough.  If you can do it, go for it, but chances are someone else won't hear you, will think the frequency is clear, and will be on top of your signal.  The bands are very crowded on Field Day.  Our club (St. Louis QRP Society) uses "Search and Pounce" almost exclusively.

You are correct that you can power the laptop from the mains, as long as you aren't using it for digital communication.  Performing logging using commercial mains or a generator won't affect your 10 pts/QSO.  If you use it for PSK or RTTY or other digital modes, that's a different story.

Good luck and 72,

John AA0VE

On 05/11/2015 06:53 PM, doctorcwp@... [4sqrp] wrote:

I am free for Field Day this year (how did it happen?) so I’m going to operate QRP 1B-battery.  The lure of 10 points per QSO is pretty strong. Does anyone have any recommendations for setting up a station?  I have the KX3, so the radio is not a problem.  I need to do a little site survey, but where I am considering I can set up a near vertical long wire.  As a second antenna, I was thinking about hanging a very large horizontal loop for NVIS.

I read some of the information that Terry WA0ITP posted in the past, i.e., call CQ, don't act like you're QRP, and just go for it.  Sound advice.

Also, my laptop, a Macbook Air, only lasts 5 or 6 hours on its battery.  It's legal to power the computer with a generator, but I don't have one.  Maybe I should try to find a 12 volt inverter to charge from the car battery?  I checked with ARRL a few years ago and this is legal, as long as you don't use the motorized generators to power the radio.

Comments?

Chas - NK8O