Re: Field Day

Johnny AC0BQ

Hello CHAS
Your on the right track already!
Power your radio from battey and use 5 watts, that's the legal part as far as I know!
Keep your antenna's simple, vertical, inverted VEE, G5rv junior, inverted L all seem to work well. We have tried several through the years and some play better than others.
The idea of having one for close range like a NVIS is good but any the above work well.
Logging can be done on paper, but a computer with logging software sorts out the dupes!
Scott N3JFP sells a great field day logging program, no vested intrest, just a satisfied customer.
I'm not sure the ARRL cares about the power for your computer, but I may stand corrected.
If they do, run it from battery also?
You are correct on telling them your are QRP, some QRO operators go deaf if you do!

Just go set up fight the bugs and have fun!!
Don't forget to bring food, that's the best part!

On Monday, May 11, 2015, doctorcwp@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

I am free for Field Day this year (how did it happen?) so I’m going to operate QRP 1B-battery.  The lure of 10 points per QSO is pretty strong. Does anyone have any recommendations for setting up a station?  I have the KX3, so the radio is not a problem.  I need to do a little site survey, but where I am considering I can set up a near vertical long wire.  As a second antenna, I was thinking about hanging a very large horizontal loop for NVIS.

I read some of the information that Terry WA0ITP posted in the past, i.e., call CQ, don't act like you're QRP, and just go for it.  Sound advice.

Also, my laptop, a Macbook Air, only lasts 5 or 6 hours on its battery.  It's legal to power the computer with a generator, but I don't have one.  Maybe I should try to find a 12 volt inverter to charge from the car battery?  I checked with ARRL a few years ago and this is legal, as long as you don't use the motorized generators to power the radio.

Comments?

Chas - NK8O

--
QRP....."more smiles per watt"