Re: Field Day

Charles W. Powell

You’re right, Johnny.

"You must operate all transmitting and receiving equipment from emergency power. If you use a computer to control or operate the radio, it also must use emergency power. If the computer is used only for logging and is not keying the transmitter, it does not need to be emergency powered.

So since I want to key the rig with the computer, I’ll need to figure out battery power for the computer.  During the day, I have a solar panel that can be used to accomplish this, or at least to slow the discharge rate. The laptop is problematic because it takes 18-19 volts.  I have a 12 Ah 12V LiFePO4 for the radio.  Other than the time I plan to use a large solar panel to gain extra points, the 12 Ah really should last the entire 24h.  Overnight, I’ll probably go to sleep when the computer dies!

72,

Chas - NK8O

On May 11, 2015, at 20:15, dave ho13dave@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

> I'm not sure the ARRL cares about the power for your computer, but I
> may stand corrected.

I can't quote the exact phrase the ARRL uses . . . but . . . if the
computer keys the rig it must be battery powered (or generator, if not
QRP). This assumes you are running as a field station. Would be
different for some of the other categories.

If the computer is used only for logging, no keying of the rig or
otherwise driving the TX, it can run off mains power.

Any digital operations that use the pc sound card would need to be
battery/generator powered.

Read over the rules carefully, all this is in there. Check the FAQ's.

73 de dave
ab9ca/4