Re: Really dumb crystal question

Bill Cromwell

Hi Michael,

I have a Small Wonders Lab SW-40 PSK for 20 meters. It IS a SSB transceiver with an xtal oscillator where a VFO might be in other transceivers. I don't think those are available any more but you might find for the band you want and change the xtal for one that operates the radio on the frequency of your choice. Some single frequency radios have the IF filter on the operating frequency as well but this one has 9 mc xtals in the filters. You use a VXO circuit or a plain xtal oscillator with trimmer inside the radio.

I hope this helps.

73,

Bill  KU8H

On 05/18/2015 06:27 PM, Michael McEwen mcewenk5osa@... [4sqrp] wrote:

Please excuse my dumb questio, but I can spend beaucoup hours on google trying to find what you guys can provide in minutes.

Can there be a crystal controlled micro TX like the many QRP CW rigs we have?  My CW (basic ones, NS-40 and Peanut Whistle 2) are very cool for QRPp CW.  But as my CIDP develops, I'm going to need to plan SSB.  I have a fine home station (only 100W but pretty darn good non-yagi/tower/rotator antennas).

I am ripped when I can be out on the local Wichita Mountains range and do QRP SSB.

Maybe this is dumb do my ignorance...crystal QRP SSB?  How dumb can you be...

BTW, do have an LNR LD-5 with both CW and SSB.  Just looking for a kit I can share with my grandchildren...we have an Ozark Patrol for our listening (and their CW practicing).  My younger son, Colin, is not yetlicensed but his is a cabinetmaker and I'm planning (evil grin) to get him to become my solder and "oh shucks...missed that one" guy.

Doc K5OSA - QTH: EM04sr
ARRL
4SQRP #801 - NAQCC #7625 - SKCC #10098
FISTS #17157 - OMISS #9886