Re: Punk antenna

Don Wilhelm <w3fpr@...>

Doc,

If you are only interested in 40 meters, the best solution is a dipole fed with coax and a push-up telescoping pole to support the center - a couple of test stakes and a bit of mason line will allow you to quickly erect an inverted Vee.

I like center fed antennas because they are less troublesome and have a low impedance feedpoint.

You might ask what happens if you do not have enough horizontal space for the inverted Vee configuration.  My solution is to create a vertical with one radial from the same antenna - use a 32 foot telescoping pole, and connect one end of the antenna to the top of that pole - push it up and string out the single radial (the other half of the dipole) along the ground or bushes as best you can (it can even bend a bit) - it will radiate just fine as a vertical.

The telescoping pole can be anchored to most any convenient vertical support with a couple of bungy cords.

The real solution is the 32 foot telescoping pole.  It can make a very versatile full size antenna for you.  It will be resonant so a tuner will not be required.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 5/25/2015 8:17 PM, Michael McEwen mcewenk5osa@... [4sqrp] wrote:

I have recently been given a neat 2 1/2 W crystal controlled transmitter (7.030 and 7.040 crystals).

My plan is to put together an ultraminimalist station.  Believe it or not, I have a Sony SW 7600 portable which receives CW really nicely. I have a tiny Whiterook Products MK-32 sideswiper key. And a 12V for the TX power.

What I want is the simplest TX antenna that would work for this.  I could use my 40M dipole here at home, but I really want some smaller than that for taking the station to the park, picnics, etc.

The best idea I can up with is a hamstick, but I afraid that the efficiency will be so low as to simulate a dummy load.  Is there some kind of vertical other than a standard 1/4 wave I could use?  A full 1/4 wave vertical is a no-go.

I'd rather not use a tuner although I have a good one...I really would like this to be as simple as possible, just for grins...