Re: QRP till death do you part?

Robert 'RC' Conley <rc.kc5wa@...>

Every contest that I have entered was done as SO QRP SSB I used an Elecraft K3 locked down at 5 watts. Would you like to see my station and certificates? I even have a SS Plague skill and technique will always triumph over brute force. YES I am able to run at 600 watts but the joy is scoring higher the rest of the local club  (QRO ops) <www.kc5wa.net>

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 12:01 PM, lee <aa4ga@...> wrote:

--- In 4sqrp@..., "gkegelaers"
> a) you have a barefoot rig with or without a kW amplifier;
> b) Peter I, Tromelin, Kerguelen whatever go on air after many years of inactivity.
>
> Would you:
>
> 1) try working them QRP until the DXpedition packs their bags, OR;
> 2) give in after a few days, a week, a fortnight then to switch the barefoot rig and amplifier on?

I do have a 100 watt rig, yet in the past two years or so, I have only worked at 5 watts output or less by choice. That includes all my DXing and contesting. I worked a lot of DX before I became a QRPer, probably around 275 or 280 countries...I've actually lost count. But I have started over using QRP, and (at least at this point in my radio career) would not resort to 100 watts just to work a rare country. In fact, there have been several DXpeditions recently that I could not reach with 5 watts. I was not tempted to put the 100-watt rig on the air, but that extra 13 dB probably would have allowed me to complete a QSO.

Now, I could just as easily wake up one morning and decide that I'm tired of only using 5 watts or less....but I don't see that happening any time soon.

It is unfortunate that the ARRL doesn't endorse their QRP DXCC with additional countries worked. But since they don't, I've started maintaining a list of QRP country totals - an unofficial QRP DXCC standings page - at http://www.aa4ga.com/p/qrp-dxcc.html and would invite all QRPers to submit their QRP country totals.

Look for the a new domain for this list to come online soon (I hope)...in the meantime, the above link will work fine.

73 de Lee, AA4GA

--
"beware of gray fuzzies"