Re: To ATU or not to ATU

Wayne Dillon

Hi Doc,
If your antennas are resonant there's no need for an ASTU, however if you are using one antenna for several bands (I'm thinking of a multiband doublet) then and ASTU is almost always mandatory. Simple rule of thumb: resonant-no ASTU, multiband largely non resonant-ASTU needed.
I've been experimenting with a 66' wire (watch for the write-up in a future edition of "The Banner"), specifically on 20m and the ASTU I'm using does not cause me any issues with attenuation of transmitted signal - that I know of. RBN was showing my CQ being picked up out in excess of 1500 miles.
Have a blessed day
Wayne - KC0PMH

On Tue, Jun 2, 2015 at 7:06 AM, Michael McEwen mcewenk5osa@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

Need advice...I have been advised that a tuner is not good for QRP if you can avoid it...my antennas are resonate.  Will an ATU such as the KX-3 one (or any ATU) degrade my transmitted (supposedly) 5W?
_ _ ...   .. _ _ _

Doc K5OSA - QTH: EM04sr
ARRL
4SQRP #801 - NAQCC #7625 - SKCC #10098