I disregarded the auto-tuner for the amp because I already have a pretty good LDG external auto-tuner that I like well.  Also didn't bother with the charger/clock as the only real portable work I plan to be doing is either Field Day (where I'll have generators) or when I'm camping at the lake (where I can either use AC in the campground, or my 4 17Ah batteries).  I figure if I find a need for either option, I can always add it in later.  Don't figure I need the panadapter, as I can use the SDR functionality with either my laptop or desktop to substitute for that.

Mostly I'm looking for what third-party accessories people are using - I really like the SideKX endplates and Lexan cover to give it some protection (also plan to get a nice Pelican case to transport it in).  The heatsink's are looking good too, as I am somewhat a fan of doing digital modes.  Also would like to either be able to use my existing Heil gear (if it will work, and from some of the reading I'm doing, it may not), or other good quality headset and desk microphone (I really dislike using a hand mic for base station use).

Jeremy

On Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 1:56 PM, Joe E <cornhusker@...> wrote:
I agree...the ATU and the filter is a must...see my articles in May and June CQ.  I also just added 2M.
DE K0NEB

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

From:"'Charlie , W5COV' cvest@... [4sqrp]" <4sqrp@...>
Date:Fri, Jun 5, 2015 at 2:44 PM
Subject:Re: [4sqrp] Elecraft afficionados, talk to me!

Hey Jeremy,

I have every option with my KX3. I don't have the KXPA100, since the KX3 is my QRP rig.

In my particular use of the KX3 the roofing filter is a great addition to the radio. Also the ATU is absolutely amazing.

ENJOY !!

Charlie, W5COV

On 6/5/2015 12:24 PM, Jeremy Utley jerutley@... [4sqrp] wrote:

Hey everyone!

As I mentioned in this month's Banner, WA6CML has finally agreed to
let me take the plunge and pick up the KX3+KXPA100 I've been dreaming
of getting since my first Ozarkcon (getting to go hands on with Jim's
KX3 was a big seller!). However, since I'm just starting to dive into
the Elecraft world, I'm wanting some suggestions on some stuff from
those of you who have been using the rig. So, a few questions!

First off, microphones - I have ordered the hand-mike, but I also have
a couple of Heil microphones - a GM-5 desk microphone and ProSet Elite
headset that I use when I'm contesting. I am terrible at making
adapter cables (would much prefer to buy something pre-made in this
regard), and Heil does not make cables for the KX-3 - so does anyone
know of somewhere I could get an adapter to use these with the KX-3?

Second, what third-party accessories would those of you with KX3's
recommend? I'm already planning on the SideKX cover from AK6Q, and
probably the Pro Audio Engineering heatsink. Anything else you guys
think is essential?

Jeremy, NQ0M
in Beautiful Downtown Iola, KS

Avast logo