Re: A simple 60 meter CW transmitter -- Maybe NOT

Don Wilhelm <w3fpr@...>

Chuck,

That is CW to me.� The transmit carrier is to be placed *at* that listed center frequency.� Are you being confused by the "1.5 kHz above the
suppressed carrier frequency as specified in the Report and Order".� Yes, the Report and Order specifies the low edge of the band, which is the correct suppressed carrier frequency for an Upper Sideband signal.

The confusion comes from how some transceivers display the frequency in CW.� Many indicate the carrier frequency and should be set to the channel center frequency.
Other transceivers display the transmit carrier frequency plus or minus the sidetone pitch.� For those, you must compensate.

I know for certain that Elecraft transceivers display the transmit carrier frequency and automatically offset the receive by the amount of the sidetone pitch so you can hear a CW signal on the frequency indicated on the dial.

In other words, you have to know how your transceiver handles the displayed frequency in CW - the transmit frequency or offset by the sidetone pitch.� A study of the owner's manual should tell you which it is.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 6/10/2015 2:23 PM, Chuck Carpenter w5usj@... [4sqrp] wrote:
�

Jim,

Here's a technical description of CW on 60 from Recommended Practices...

At 01:04 PM 6/10/2015, you wrote:
>Ummmmmmmmmmm------- one can operate cw on 60 meters and not SSB, Chuck.

-----
As updated 5 March 2012, Sounds like SSB to me??

CW Operation
CW operation must take place at the center of
your chosen channel. This means that your
transmitting frequency must be 1.5 kHz above the
suppressed carrier frequency as specified in the
Report and Order (see Table 1).
The channel center frequencies are �
Channel 1: 5332.0 kHz
Channel 2: 5348.0 kHz
Channel 3: 5358.5 kHz
Channel 4: 5373.0 kHz
Channel 5: 5405.0 kHz
Consult your transceiver manual. Some
transceivers transmit CW at the exact frequencies
shown on their displays, but others offset the
actual transmission frequency by a certain amount
(for example, 600 Hz). If your manual is not
clear on this point, contact the manufacturer. If
you have access to a frequency counter, this is
an excellent tool for ensuring that your CW
signal is on the channel center frequency.

---