Re: A simple 60 meter CW transmitter

Bill Cromwell

Hi Don,

It's the close in phase noise that concerned me Some hams (and engineers) have shown that it doesn't get filtered out. Apparently you have to also filter out the desired signal to get the phase noise. Do you have information that refutes this? It's easy to find misinformation *everywhere* and maybe the best I have is wrong.

I would otherwise be happy to have something like that for my carrier generator and heterodyne channel oscillators. My notion of seven xtals (or available oscillator frequencies) is to allow for SSB *AND* CW in one transmitter. That is one heterodyne frequency per channel (5) and one each for either CW or SSB (2). Still five channels with a simple selector.

73,

Bill KU8H

On 06/15/2015 11:11 AM, Don Wilhelm wrote:
Bill,

Following a DDS with a low pass filter will take care of most of the crud and the low pass filter on the PA will take care of the rest of it.
I have looked at the spectrum of the Elecraft KX1 and the output is clean even though the source is a DDS.

With the right firmware, I think the KX1 could easily be put on 60 meters, but that firmware is Elecraft proprietary.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 6/15/2015 9:52 AM, Bill Cromwell wrcromwell@gmail.com [4sqrp] wrote:

Hi Nick,

If we want "simple" LEDs would be overly complex and expensive. A
chicken-head knob can point at dymo label or sharpie numbers one through
five on the front panel..assuming we actually use a front panel.

I have been avoiding the DDS type stuff to also avoid the transmitted
crud that goes along with them.

73,

Bill KU8H