Re: 2M HT

Wayne Dillon

Hi Doc,
My vote would be for an FT60, yeah I know it's dual band but it's a rugged little unit, I have had mine a coupe of years now and although I don't do 2m that often it's nice to use when Mrs KC0PMH is in someplace like the goodwill and I'm out in the car park (parking lot?). yes it generates interest in Ham Radio which is all to the good. I can e-mail you the manual if that'll better explain the beast.
Vy 72/3 es God Bless de Wayne - KC0PMH

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 2:11 PM, Michael McEwen mcewenk5osa@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

This might provoke some laughs, but I'm serious.  I'm thinking about getting a 2M HT for a goes anywhere" bag. I want someting small, rugged and high signal quality.  I have had various  Icom and Yaesu units (and still have my first radio - Yaesu FT 416...still works, but it's time to get a new toy since I have managed to get my HF stuff together.  I haven't bought an HT in years.

 I don't care if the HT has digital modes. I don't need menus out the wazu....Just quality, simple 2M HT.  This just going to be a radio I take everywhere I can for operating whenever I have some spare time.  I do  good bit of outdoor activity and have learned how much fun this can be.  I once hit an OK panhandle repeater with my little Yaesu (from the top of Pike's Peak).

I'm now putting together a  minimalist  2M in a bag set up and have a nice padded bag, an auxillary
Li-ion power pack a solar charger on the way several ultralight antennas.

I think this will be another good way to get new poeple interrested in our as well has providin me another fun activity.
_ _ ...   .. _ _ _

Doc K5OSA - QTH: EM04sr
ARRL - LFSARC (Lawton/Fort Sill Amateur Radio Club)
4SQRP #801 - NAQCC #7625 - SKCC #10098
FISTS #17157 - OMISS #9886 - Flying Pigs #3587

Michael T McEwen
Lt Col, US Army, Ret

Cellular Phone:  580 919-9205
Residence:  580 529-3412