Re: Tinning Toroid leads

David Martin <davemrtn@...>

Fume Hood !!  What's That ??

I've been soldering and inhaling fumes since I was 12 years old, that'd be 53 years now......

And there is nothing wrong with me..  with me...  with me........  with me............

On 8/19/2015 6:37 PM, Don Wilhelm w3fpr@... [4sqrp] wrote:

Fume hoods aside (yes, they are a good form of protection from inhaling nasty stuff), but a fan pulling the nasty fumes away from you will also be a great help.

For those who have a desoldering station such as the Hakko 808, stripping toroid leads (assuming Thermalize wire insulation) is a breeze.
Just stick the enameled wire into the mouth of the desoldering tool and add a bit of solder to the tool.  After a puff of enamel smoke, pull the trigger and you will have a perfectly stripped and tinned toroid lead.

If you do more than one or two toroids using this method, be sure to clean your desoldering tool when finished.  The enamel residue will build up in the desoldering tool and needs to be removed.

I use my Hakko 808 frequently for stripping toroid leads.

73,
Don W3FPR

On 8/19/2015 7:22 PM, John Lonigro jonigro@... [4sqrp] wrote:

David:
You need to invest in a good fume hood, preferably soon!
(Hi)

--
David Martin - K5DCM - Mountain Home, Ar.
One last thought: “Truth is hate for those who hate the truth.”