Date   
Re: 40m Net

John KK4ITX
 

Bill,

The QSB was terrible.  Only got 1/3 of your transmissions, faintly heard others but only less than 10%.

I'm sure you worked from memory on my call, Hi Hi.  I'll keep practicing.

John
KK4ITX 




From: dekle <dekle@...>
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2018 9:27 PM
Subject: [4SQRP] 40m Net

3 check-ins tonight:

W2SH     Chas     NJ
KK4ITX   John     Fl
K3NLT     Russ   Va

The band still appears to be long.
tnx all & 73

Bill
KV6Z


Re: 80 meter net

Ruth A Mumaw
 

Thank you, I have been listening but heard no activity, Russ K3NLT

On December 26, 2018 at 8:46 PM Johnny Matlock <jomatlock@...> wrote:

No 80 meter net Tonight, it’s rainy and 
Stormy in SE KS tonight.
Hope to cu all next week.
72
Johnny AC0BQ 
--
Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

4SQRP DMR NET

Robert
 

ANOTHER GREAT NET, THANKS TO ALL THAT CHECKED IN AND LISTENED IN

TONIGHT'S CHECK INS

NK80  CHARLES

N8EGT WAYNE

N8DAH DAVID

WG5F ED

KV6Z BILL

K0WDO WILL

AK0B STAN

AB0AH LARRY

W8NWA MIKE


THANKS TO EVERY ONE  FOR CHECKING IN AND SHARING THEIR CHRISTMAS STORIES, AND I HOPE EVERY ONE HAS A HAPPY NEW YEAR, AND GETS TO WORK STRAIGHT KEY NIGHT THIS NEW YEARS  EVE.


73'S

BERT

N0YJ

Re: Hello :) My latest project A NA5N PIPSQUEAK regenerative receiver

KD5ALD
 

Hello Tom
I previously viewed your radio there , before I ever built this one !
Matter of fact , I saved the pictures from there onto my computer !
Very nice example your radio :)
All I can say is mine works much better than I looks :)
I have been doing a little experimenting with a coil !
My conclusion so far is 
The coil built as to the schematic is really hard to beat !
I got to say I do really like this rig !
When I first put voltage to it  radio Havana Cuba come booming in with no adjustment at all :)
73 Tom de Frank kd5ald


On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 6:10 PM Tom Sevart <tmsevart@...> wrote:
Very nice.  I built one a while back as well, which can be seen here:
https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/pipsqueak-regenerative-receiver.587926/page-4#post-4496600

It's a lot of fun to pull it off the shelf and listen to it.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS




Re: 40m Net

dekle <dekle@...>
 

Hi John,

Yes, the QSB was pretty bad.

I usually don't need the entire call to know who it is.

I'm just glad you tried. Thanks for your QNI.

73

Bill

KV6Z

 


On 26/12/2018 8:38 pm, jleahy00 via Groups.Io wrote:

 
 
Bill,
 
The QSB was terrible.  Only got 1/3 of your transmissions, faintly heard others but only less than 10%.
 
I'm sure you worked from memory on my call, Hi Hi.  I'll keep practicing.
 
John
KK4ITX 
 
 
 

From: dekle <dekle@...>
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2018 9:27 PM
Subject: [4SQRP] 40m Net

3 check-ins tonight:

W2SH     Chas     NJ
KK4ITX   John     Fl
K3NLT     Russ   Va

The band still appears to be long.
tnx all & 73

Bill
KV6Z


Re: Cricket 40?

David Wilcox
 

The Cricket 80a is available eBay with a few other of Daves past kits.  He has a presence there with parts too.

David J. Wilcox K8WPE’s iPad

On Dec 26, 2018, at 5:39 PM, Jim Pruitt <jpruitt67@...> wrote:

Gary,

I put my Cricket80 in a metal container that I got at the Dollar store or Dollar Tree.  You can still find them now as it is the size a lot of cookies came in over Christmas.  It has a hinged (I think) lid.  I had hoped I could use a SO239 connector instead of the BNC but there was not enough room for the BNC plug/adapter so I had to wire my SO239 in place of the BNC on the pc board but it works.  I also added the key jack mod to the pc board and then drilled my enclosure for that extra hole.

Good luck.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY

On 12/26/2018 1:55 PM, Gary Kohtala via Groups.Io wrote:
I wish the Cricket 80(A) was still available. I would like to acquire the whole series, 80, 40, 30, etc.

I would like ideas for enclosures for the Crickets. Anyone? Thanks, and happy new year.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

Sent from BlueMail
On Dec 26, 2018, at 12:47, Jim Pruitt <jpruitt67@...> wrote:
I have a Cricket 80,  a Cricket80A, and a Cricket30. I would also be interested but only if the key jack was placed on the pc board (takes one pc lan and isolate one hole) and that they meet spectral purity.

Might I also suggest that there be corner holes pre drilled for mounting.  I know the idea is for minimalist use but I prefer to put mine in an enclosure as hot.live pc boards on the bench are an invitation for disaster and for letting the magic smoke escape.  I also had problems with hooking it up to a front panel power switch since the included onboard power switch has a little different spacing than most other switches so finding a center off pc mount power switch with the same footprint to replace the included one was a trick.  Yes,  I know I could have just used the board mounted switch on my front panel enclosure but I was trying to keep it stock if I removed it from the enclosure.

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY

On 12/24/2018 2:39 PM, nm0s_qrp via Groups.Io wrote:
if 4SQRP were to introduce a 40M Cricket, who would be interested in one?  I'm trying to gauge interest before making the investment.

73 Dave NM0S


Re: MicroVert Antenna

N1KWW
 

Thanks for the info, have an end fed or OCF in the works. Just need some warm weather. 


On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 2:10 AM pileupjunkie via Groups.Io <beargyrils=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I built several but about 10 years ago when bands were good. They work very well considering how small they are A ham John Moore has a site and I saw it just 3 weeks ago. However with bands bad and no sun spots in would not waste my time. I been doing great with end fed antennas as per Steve Yates site AA5TB. Bob AF2DX

N1KWW <bgrass2@...> wrote:

Curious if anyone has built this antenna, seems to work ok. Any thoughts? N1KWW

Re: MicroVert Antenna

Dwayne R
 

Think of it as your basic RF propagation and radio wave. . .

The longer the antenna, the more the RF passes through, which gives a better
signal. . .any antenna that is very small starts acting like a rubber duck. Way
to short of an antenna means a very weak signal on receive as well as transmit.


The only way we talk to each other is propagation. In poor propagation, you
need a really good antenna to make contact. In excellent propagation, you
can communicate 100's of miles by using a dummy load. (I have talked
from Wichita to Dallas Texas using a Heahtkit Cantenna).
.
Small antennas mean poorer receive and poorer transmit. There is a huge
reason why the halfwave dipole or inverted vee are such a popular and good
antenna.
1. They are very long, and have no "loads/Traps" or "coils" on them.
2. They are cheap and very inexpensive to build.
3. They do not fool the wave into thinking they are longer than what they are.
4. They work well with most propagation scenarios.

In other words, I wouldn't waste my time building anything less than a
half wave ________ (fill in the blank). Anything less will surely start
limiting your capabilities. Then when you run QRP, you are severely
limiting your capabilities even .

Buy 50 feet of coax, 50 foot of speaker wire, cut 32 feet of length,
split it down the center, and attach a wire to each end of the 50 ohm
line. If you want, add a few extra feet so you can trim the antenna
to the frequency you want.

Dwayne (Ka0aam)




--------------------------------------------

On Wed, 12/26/18, N1KWW <bgrass2@...> wrote:

Subject: [4SQRP] MicroVert Antenna
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Date: Wednesday, December 26, 2018, 6:06 PM

Curious if anyone has built this
antenna, seems to work ok. Any thoughts? N1KWW

Re: 40m Net

Paul Goemans
 

Bill,
  No trace of you tonight. I did hear a faint bit from KK4ITX.
 
Paul Goemans WA9PWP
Stoughton, WI

 
 

From: dekle
Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2018 8:27 PM
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Subject: [4SQRP] 40m Net
 
3 check-ins tonight:

W2SH     Chas     NJ
KK4ITX   John     Fl
K3NLT     Russ   Va

The band still appears to be long.
tnx all & 73

Bill
KV6Z

Re: Cricket 40?

W0IIT
 

John, for crickets I always preferred a old Prince Albert’s tin tobacco can.  You would be surprised to find how many crickets or sand frogs you could stuff in one of those old flat red cans.  I suppose those are collector’s items now(the cans, not the crickets>-)

cu es 72 Bart W0IIT
4Sqrp #72, Flying Pig #11

On Dec 26, 2018, at 7:01 PM, John Lonigro <jonigro@...> wrote:

Surely there's somebody who has made an enclosure for those crickets out of a bait bucket.  Seems a natural (hi).

72 and happy holidays to all,

John, AA0VE

On 12/26/18 4:55 PM, Don Pitchford wrote:

Re: MicroVert Antenna

N1KWW
 

Totally agree! Living in a "senior" facility cramps one's operating style. Trying to remain as inobtrusive as I can. Thanks. N1KWW  


On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 4:54 AM Dwayne R via Groups.Io <masterdr=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Think of it as your basic RF propagation and radio wave. . .

The longer the antenna, the more the RF passes through, which gives a better
signal. . .any antenna that is very small starts acting like a rubber duck. Way
to short of an antenna means a very weak signal on receive as well as transmit.


The only way we talk to each other is propagation.  In poor propagation, you
need a really good antenna to make contact.   In excellent propagation, you
can communicate 100's of miles by using a dummy load.  (I have talked
from Wichita to Dallas Texas using a Heahtkit Cantenna).
.
Small antennas mean poorer receive and poorer transmit.  There is a huge
reason why the halfwave dipole or inverted vee are such a popular and good
antenna.
 1.  They are very long, and have no "loads/Traps" or "coils" on them.
2.  They are cheap and very inexpensive to build. 
3.  They do not fool the wave into thinking they are longer than what they are.
4.  They work well with most propagation scenarios. 

In other words,  I wouldn't waste my time building anything less than a
half wave ________ (fill in the blank).  Anything less will surely start
limiting your capabilities.  Then when you run QRP, you are severely
limiting your capabilities even .

Buy 50 feet of coax,  50 foot of speaker wire, cut 32 feet of length,
split it down the center, and attach a wire to each end of the 50 ohm
line.  If you want, add a few extra feet so you can trim the antenna
to the frequency you want.

Dwayne (Ka0aam)




--------------------------------------------
On Wed, 12/26/18, N1KWW <bgrass2@...> wrote:

 Subject: [4SQRP] MicroVert Antenna
 To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
 Date: Wednesday, December 26, 2018, 6:06 PM

 Curious if anyone has built this
 antenna, seems to work ok. Any thoughts? N1KWW






Re: ADV: Re: [4SQRP] Cricket 40?

jrdock@ckt.net
 

I would like to have a 40 meter Cricket !!  WD0CFH Jack in Pittsburg

Pro

Jack R. Dock ... How about we give GOD a reason to continue blessing America?  In defense of America I pledge my life, my fortune and my sacred honor.
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.
                                                 

On Dec 27, 2018, at 5:09 AM, W0IIT <blawson2@...> wrote:

John, for crickets I always preferred a old Prince Albert’s tin tobacco can.  You would be surprised to find how many crickets or sand frogs you could stuff in one of those old flat red cans.  I suppose those are collector’s items now(the cans, not the crickets>-)

cu es 72 Bart W0IIT
4Sqrp #72, Flying Pig #11

On Dec 26, 2018, at 7:01 PM, John Lonigro <jonigro@...> wrote:

Surely there's somebody who has made an enclosure for those crickets out of a bait bucket.  Seems a natural (hi).

72 and happy holidays to all,

John, AA0VE

On 12/26/18 4:55 PM, Don Pitchford wrote:

Re: MicroVert Antenna

_Dave_K0MBT
 

More wire has been good for me as well. My radios vary from 5w to about 70w max output. I insisted on having tuned antennas but gradually have deviated and gone to the more is better. Our (xyl is a ham too) latest creation is an 1150 foot horizontal loop fed into a homemade 4:1 current balun into coax back into a manual tuner.

It is at the same time quieter and gives better signal reports than my other antennas mostly dipoles and a 40 m loop.

I see (hear) hams who use and brag on air that everyone on 40 needs an amp or they don't belong. huh.

Sorry for deviating off topic Pretty hard to be portable except on the deck with a big loop.
73
Dave

Re: Cricket 40?

Gary Kohtala
 

What about frequency or frequencies for the Cricket 40? It would be nice to have 7122 khz and possibly one of the mainstream watering holes on the low end of the band. Having not yet had the pleasure of building a Cricket for any band, I am unaware of the possible problems related to physically changing frequencies. A standard socket or appropriate female pins on the board would solve the problem, assuming that the crystal has pins and not wires, i.e. solders to the board. In the latter case some sort of switching arrangement would be necessary, increasing the complexity.  What have others done and where do they acquire suitable crystals for other frequencies? I won't fully understand the problem until I acquire my first Cricket, which will be right after the first if the year. Thanks for reading.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

Sent from BlueMail
_,_._,_

Re: Cricket 40?

Bob Macklin
 

HC-49 crystals with wire leads will plug into a SIP socket.
 
Bob Macklin
K5MYJ
Seattle, Wa.
"Real Radios Glow In The Dark"

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2018 8:54 AM
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] Cricket 40?

What about frequency or frequencies for the Cricket 40? It would be nice to have 7122 khz and possibly one of the mainstream watering holes on the low end of the band. Having not yet had the pleasure of building a Cricket for any band, I am unaware of the possible problems related to physically changing frequencies. A standard socket or appropriate female pins on the board would solve the problem, assuming that the crystal has pins and not wires, i.e. solders to the board. In the latter case some sort of switching arrangement would be necessary, increasing the complexity.  What have others done and where do they acquire suitable crystals for other frequencies? I won't fully understand the problem until I acquire my first Cricket, which will be right after the first if the year. Thanks for reading.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

Sent from BlueMail
_,_._,_

Oh 🤪

Charlie Crapotta, NA2CC <pccmd@...>
 

Jim,
I guess the calibration procedure takes care of cw sidetone adjustment, so changing the code just replaces the zero beat adjustment. 
Charlie 

On Dec 17, 2018, at 9:16 AM, Jim Pruitt <jpruitt67@...> wrote:

Hello Charlie.

You have the latest version of the firmware.  If you bought one of the first 100 kits (sold out in June as I recall) then you might have the older version but all of the kits I have shipped (since about September 1) have the new firmware version which matches the one posted to the files section of the Hilltopperkit group.

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY


On 12/17/2018 5:48 AM, Charlie Crapotta, NA2CC wrote:
Thanks, Jim.....it seems I am now a member of HT subgroup.  
BTW, how do I find out what firmware version I have....it shipped to me on 11/24 
Charlie 
NA2CC 


On Dec 16, 2018, at 11:04 PM, Jim Pruitt <jpruitt67@...> wrote:

The easiest way is to send a message to this address:

HilltopperKit+subscribe@4SQRP.groups.io

or go to groups.io and search for groups (Find or create a group).  The name is Hilltopperkit

There are actually several sub groups under the main 4SQRP group.  Right now they are:
BayouJumperKit
CricketKit
DigitalFM
HilltopperKit
MuraniaKit
O17Kit
OzarkPartrolKit
SSB

For some reason not many people post to the sub group even though the subgroups were created to discuss a particular kit.  I assume each new kit will get a group created for it.  To subscribe to them the format is the same:
GroupName+subscribe at 4SQRP.groups.io

Good luck.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY

On 12/16/2018 10:25 PM, Charlie Crapotta, NA2CC wrote:
Ok, so how do I find the HT subgroup?


Re: Cricket 40?

Wayne Steury
 

KC9ON.com has great crystals for about $1. John sent me a socket too. N9egt 

image1.jpeg

Wayne Steury IPhone

On Dec 27, 2018, at 11:28 AM, Bob Macklin <macklinbob@...> wrote:

HC-49 crystals with wire leads will plug into a SIP socket.
 
Bob Macklin
K5MYJ
Seattle, Wa.
"Real Radios Glow In The Dark"
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2018 8:54 AM
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] Cricket 40?

What about frequency or frequencies for the Cricket 40? It would be nice to have 7122 khz and possibly one of the mainstream watering holes on the low end of the band. Having not yet had the pleasure of building a Cricket for any band, I am unaware of the possible problems related to physically changing frequencies. A standard socket or appropriate female pins on the board would solve the problem, assuming that the crystal has pins and not wires, i.e. solders to the board. In the latter case some sort of switching arrangement would be necessary, increasing the complexity.  What have others done and where do they acquire suitable crystals for other frequencies? I won't fully understand the problem until I acquire my first Cricket, which will be right after the first if the year. Thanks for reading.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

Sent from BlueMail
_,_._,_

Re: MicroVert Antenna

N1KWW
 

Previous wire antenna farm had loop for 160 roughly 560 feet. Competed with those running maximum power. 
Yes, I was happy. Now everything is scaled down to a 43 foot dipole wrapped around three sides of building. When weather warms up will 
put up an off center fed with 4-1 balun. (My spell check selected balloon, baling and blain) 
Building a 20mm QRP rig and placed a semiconductor backwards. Have tried the usual methods, solder sucker and wick to no avail. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 4:45 PM d balfour <davesters@...> wrote:
More wire has been good for me as well. My radios vary from 5w to about 70w max output. I insisted on having tuned antennas but gradually have deviated and gone to the more is better. Our (xyl is a ham too) latest creation is an 1150 foot horizontal loop fed into a homemade 4:1 current balun into coax back into a manual tuner.

It is at the same time quieter and gives better signal reports than my other antennas mostly dipoles and a 40 m loop.

I see (hear) hams who use and brag on air that everyone on 40 needs an amp or they don't belong. huh.

Sorry for deviating off topic Pretty hard to be portable except on the deck with a big loop.
73
Dave



Re: MicroVert Antenna

Dwayne R
 

There are two ways to increase your effective power output.

1. enlarge your antenna by lengthening it, or adding elements.
2. Purchasing a linear.

Each time you double your power, you have a 3db increase
in strength. It takes 6db to make 1 S unit.

A linear taking a 100 watt transmittter to 1000 watts is
approx 10db of gain
100 to 200 (3db)
200 to 400 (3db)
400 to 800 (3db).
800 to 1000 (round to 1 db).

That is a little over a unit and a half of mathematical
(not reality) gain.

Take a half wave dipole. . .double it, you have approx 3db
double that again, you have another 3db, or 1 s unit.

Long wires allow more of the magnetic radiation to
travel through it. Just like wrapping more wire around
a core will increase the magnetic power.

I have 600 feet of wire in a loop. It is only 10 feet off the ground,
and the lowest point I run into with a riding lawnmower, hanging myself.
Someday soon it will be at 35 feet, but until then. . .

I use 100 watts of power, and my friends use AL80's and other
amps. My signal is almost as good as theirs on 40 meters.

You want a station? The antenna is your most important item.
If you can't get an antenna that does a good job, then your next
alternative is a Amp.

QRP means exactly that QRP, not a AMP. . .That means your
focus should be, and stay at your antenna. Rubber Ducky
antennas and QRP do not work well at all, unless the propagation
is strong.

It is great to see all these antenna designs. . .small, compact,
portable, and amazing in every way. People can brag they
talked to people across the ocean, 1000's of miles away. But
they either ignore one thing, or are completely oblivious to it. . .

You CAN'T talk without propagation!

The better the propagation, the easier the hop, the less of an
antenna you need, and the less power you need to make a
contact.

The poorer the propagation, the more power you need, the
better antenna you need, and the hop will be far weaker.

You are already at a HUGE disadvantage, and that is
running low power. So, to compensate for that disadvantage,
you can either make it up by a Amp, or Antenna. Since you
are not going to use an Amp. . .

DON'T SKIP out and build a Rubber Duck Antenna.

Fancy and pretty are not good. Effective and reliable is
the key to making QRP like any other 100 watt radio out
there.

Dwayne (Ka0aam)

Sorry for the Ramble. . .

I just hate to see people get caught up into antennas
that are worth about 2 cents, when they have the
capabilities to build an antenna for 20 dollars that will
out preform these things 10 fold. . . without the
complexity. . .


--------------------------------------------

On Thu, 12/27/18, d balfour <davesters@...> wrote:

Subject: Re: [4SQRP] MicroVert Antenna
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Date: Thursday, December 27, 2018, 6:20 AM

More wire has been good for me as
well. My radios vary from 5w to about 70w max output. I
insisted on having tuned antennas but gradually have
deviated and gone to the more is better. Our (xyl is a ham
too) latest creation is an 1150 foot horizontal loop fed
into a homemade 4:1 current balun into coax back into a
manual tuner.

It is at the
same time quieter and gives better signal reports than my
other antennas mostly dipoles and a 40 m loop.

I see (hear) hams who use and
brag on air that everyone on 40 needs an amp or they
don't belong. huh.

Sorry for deviating off topic Pretty hard to be
portable except on the deck with a big loop.
73
Dave

Re: MicroVert Antenna

Duane Brayton
 

You have lost the mismounted semiconductor. Cut the leads with a flush sidecutter or xacto blade as close to the semiconductor as possible and tip it up or remove it.  That should allow you to remove the remaining leads from the thruholes with soldering iron & tweezers or push them out backwards.
Do not overheat and damage the PCB. Good luck.
Duane KE0IUV

Sent from TypeApp

On Dec 27, 2018, at 2:53 PM, N1KWW <bgrass2@...> wrote:
Previous wire antenna farm had loop for 160 roughly 560 feet. Competed with those running maximum power. 
Yes, I was happy. Now everything is scaled down to a 43 foot dipole wrapped around three sides of building. When weather warms up will 
put up an off center fed with 4-1 balun. (My spell check selected balloon, baling and blain) 
Building a 20mm QRP rig and placed a semiconductor backwards. Have tried the usual methods, solder sucker and wick to no avail. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 4:45 PM d balfour < davesters@...> wrote:
More wire has been good for me as well. My radios vary from 5w to about 70w max output. I insisted on having tuned antennas but gradually have deviated and gone to the more is better. Our (xyl is a ham too) latest creation is an 1150 foot horizontal loop fed into a homemade 4:1 current balun into coax back into a manual tuner.

It is at the same time quieter and gives better signal reports than my other antennas mostly dipoles and a 40 m loop.

I see (hear) hams who use and brag on air that everyone on 40 needs an amp or they don't belong. huh.

Sorry for deviating off topic Pretty hard to be portable except on the deck with a big loop.
73
Dave